Confession before the sacrament of marriage?

My husband and I will soon have our marriage convalidated in the church (a private ceramony) without a mass.
My question is this:
should I go to confession before this sacrament takes place? what I mean is this: will it be valid if I’m not in the state of grace?
We meet with the priest next week, so I’m trying to write a list of questions for him…if anyone has some adivce on this, please feel free to post.
thanks, and wish me luck…don’t know why i’m so nervous…been thorough this once before…a long time ago, in a land far far away.

A Sacrament, other than Confession or Baptism [or in some cases, i.e. unconscious, Anointing of the Sick] received while guilty of mortal sin is valid but sacrilegious. the graces of the sacrament are not received and one has an additional grave sin. When that sin and all others are confessed one does receive the graces.

If you feel in your heart that you need to go, then you should go. I am getting married too, in June. I haven’t been to confession for a long while (2 years ) because I feel like I will repeat my sins until I am married so it feels like it is invalid for me to even go to confession. Some people think that is incorrect and that going to confession is always better and more right than not going. I guess I am scared - of confession that is… I don’t really know why exactly because I know we are all sinners and the priest has heard it all and God knows my every move.

I will pray for you.

Congratulations on your upcoming sacrament of holy matrimony!

[quote=kayla]My husband and I will soon have our marriage convalidated in the church (a private ceramony) without a mass.
My question is this:
should I go to confession before this sacrament takes place? what I mean is this: will it be valid if I’m not in the state of grace?
We meet with the priest next week, so I’m trying to write a list of questions for him…if anyone has some adivce on this, please feel free to post.
thanks, and wish me luck…don’t know why i’m so nervous…been thorough this once before…a long time ago, in a land far far away.
[/quote]

Yes you should go to Confession before celebrating the Sacrament of Marriage. Also your husband to be should if he is Catholic. Just as anyone who receives any Sacrament not in a state of Sanctifying grace it is of little effect. You would receive the Sacrament of Marriage but the Sacramental Grace could possibly be impeded from having any effect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.