Confession dilemma

I have a regular confessor and I have a strong preference for confessing to him, although I will gladly go to another priest in case of necessity. He knows me well (in and out of the confessional) and gives thoughtful, personal, and sometimes difficult penances that are designed to truly help me to overcome my particular sins and weaknesses.

My children are going on a retreat next week that is connected with their religious education program. On the day that they will celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation, it is expected that parents will also go to Confession, to set a good example for our children.

So here’s my dilemma: I went to Confession recently and Father gave me a penance that I failed to complete, through my own weakness. Due to embarrassment (pride!), I have great difficulty admitting to him that I have failed. Confessing this failure to another priest seems like an easy way out that I should not take. If I confess to the priest at the retreat (including this failure), should I also mention it to my regular confessor the next time that I confess to him?

[quote="babochka, post:1, topic:290187"]
I have a regular confessor and I have a strong preference for confessing to him, although I will gladly go to another priest in case of necessity. He knows me well (in and out of the confessional) and gives thoughtful, personal, and sometimes difficult penances that are designed to truly help me to overcome my particular sins and weaknesses.

My children are going on a retreat next week that is connected with their religious education program. On the day that they will celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation, it is expected that parents will also go to Confession, to set a good example for our children.

So here's my dilemma: I went to Confession recently and Father gave me a penance that I failed to complete, through my own weakness. Due to embarrassment (pride!), I have great difficulty admitting to him that I have failed. Confessing this failure to another priest seems like an easy way out that I should not take. ** If I confess to the priest at the retreat (including this failure), should I also mention it to my regular confessor the next time that I confess to him?**

[/quote]

NO. You do not have to repeat anything you have already confessed and been given absolution for.

I understand that the sin will be forgiven the first time and that I don’t have to repeat it. Trust me, I don’t suffer from scruples. I’m much more likely to suffer from the sin of presumption. I’m just wondering if I should mention it for the sake of my own spiritual growth and to avoid the pride that underlies my reluctance to confess it to my regular confessor.

I would confess it to the retreat priest, and when you go to confession to your regular priest, just mention it to him, not as an item of confession, but just as kind of an FYI to him that you did not complete the penance just so he knows for the purpose of spiritual direction. You can let him know it was already confessed.

Honestly, I wouldn't. I'm sure if pride is an issue for you, the Holy Spirit will give you plenty of opportunity to increase in humility. ;)

[quote="babochka, post:3, topic:290187"]
I'm just wondering if I should mention it for the sake of my own spiritual growth and to avoid the pride that underlies my reluctance to confess it to my regular confessor.

[/quote]

Yes.

The best is to have the courage to say to your regular confessor.
BUT the best is difficult to reach sometimes.
So, I would say, for this time, go to another priest and forget the subject.

[quote="babochka, post:3, topic:290187"]
I understand that the sin will be forgiven the first time and that I don't have to repeat it. Trust me, I don't suffer from scruples. I'm much more likely to suffer from the sin of presumption. I'm just wondering if I should mention it for the sake of my own spiritual growth and to avoid the pride that underlies my reluctance to confess it to my regular confessor.

[/quote]

I see no harm in talking about it withyour priest. I am sure he will understand.
If it lays heavy on your mind, it is best to just bring it up and you will be able to move on. Otherwise the thought just stays around.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.