Confession Dilemma

Hi everybody,
I'm new here and have a dilemma with going to Confession. I'm in a Catholic high school right now that is run by the Jesuits. Needless to say, they are around school all day and are available to students for prayer, Confession, or just to talk whenever. Now, I normally go to Confession every month or so with one of the Jesuits, but we are currently out of school. I have a few opportunities to go to Confession before returning to school in August, but I am really nervous and hesitant to go to Confession with a priest I don't know. I am much more comfortable with the Jesuits at my school, because I know them and they know me, plus I'm more comfortable confessing at school.

Now, here's the kicker. I may or may not be in a state of mortal sin. While I know the sin I committed was wrong, at the time of the sin, I had no thoughts of "this is a mortal sin and I am offending God." So is it a mortal sin if at the time I didn't think about it?

Anyway, that's my dilemma. I'm not sure if I am in a state of mortal sin, and if so, I don't feel comfortable going to Confession outside of school. If I waited until I went back to school, I'd confess at the first chance I could get.

Any suggestions or words of advice?

If you had full consent of the will in what you were doing, with knowledge of what you were doing was a sin, and if it was of any type of significant matter..........then you commited a mortal sin and have an obligation to confess it before receiving communion. You would need to find a priest regardless of how "uncomfortable" it may be for you and fess up.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. lol.

Spirituality is not about being comfortable......sometimes we need to be uncomfortable to be able to grow, to grow in trust in God and so forth.

That being said.....if you just CANT go to any other priest............it's still better to be "comfortable" than to make your sin worse in not confessing.....so if you HAVE to....maybe call the school and see if you can't somehow get in touch with one of the schools priests (they don't stop being priests cause they're on summer vacation).

God bless

• Go To Confession - Offer Your Discomfort Up to the Lord as Part of Your Penance. (Yes I said it, OFFER IT UP:thumbsup:)
  • :sad_yes: Bad things happen to good people all of the time.
  • Teenagers are hit and killed by cars, bullets, and other tragic events every day :crying:.
  • When we discuss this within the RCIA classes, what we tell people is that if you believe that what you did is a mortal sin, then that belief may be enough to make it so as you have, in your soul, recognized something is seriously wrong with the act. (I prefer to think of it as that internal warning, you know, the feeling you get when something bad is going to happen - but that is my own personal belief.)
  • :gopray2: Please do not let another day go by without finding the nearest Church and confess.
  • Do so behind the screen - you do not have to go face to face. :frighten:
  • If you have received communion during this time, say so during this confession.

IN the meantime, please pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet - EWTN it's not a substitute for confession, however, asking for Christ's mercy is never a futile act!

(edit) Forgot to mention: The suggestion to contact the School is a good one, the priests are always priests!

[quote="LoveToTravel, post:1, topic:333526"]
Hi everybody,
I'm new here and have a dilemma with going to Confession. I'm in a Catholic high school right now that is run by the Jesuits. Needless to say, they are around school all day and are available to students for prayer, Confession, or just to talk whenever. Now, I normally go to Confession every month or so with one of the Jesuits, but we are currently out of school. I have a few opportunities to go to Confession before returning to school in August, but I am really nervous and hesitant to go to Confession with a priest I don't know. I am much more comfortable with the Jesuits at my school, because I know them and they know me, plus I'm more comfortable confessing at school.

Now, here's the kicker. I may or may not be in a state of mortal sin. While I know the sin I committed was wrong, at the time of the sin, I had no thoughts of "this is a mortal sin and I am offending God." So is it a mortal sin if at the time I didn't think about it?

Anyway, that's my dilemma. I'm not sure if I am in a state of mortal sin, and if so, I don't feel comfortable going to Confession outside of school. If I waited until I went back to school, I'd confess at the first chance I could get.

Any suggestions or words of advice?

[/quote]

I'd recommend confessing behind the grill, so that you don't have to face an unfamiliar priest. A slightly awkward confession is worth your peace of mind.

If you are in doubt, then you should go to confession. Sooner or later you will leave school and will not have the same Jesuits in your life for confession anymore; now would be a good time to start getting used to a different priest. :rolleyes:

[quote="Catholic1954, post:5, topic:333526"]
If you are in doubt, then you should go to confession. Sooner or later you will leave school and will not have the same Jesuits in your life for confession anymore; now would be a good time to start getting used to a different priest. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

:amen:

I prefer a priest in a near by parish; however, my little one prefers our pastor. When I take her in for confession, guess who I go to! Better for DD to see me go than for my confort.

Hey everybody,
Thanks to your words of reason and encouragement, I ended up going to Confession tonight at my local parish before attending the vigil Mass. I guess I just needed some words of encouragement from my fellow Catholics. I feel much better now and can go forward with the light of Christ. Thanks and God bless!
-Mike

I've been to confession to a fair few different priests (one of the hazards of moving and travelling a great deal, as I have done).

I can't promise that they are all pleasant and helpful, even priests have bad days and are human, but I CAN promise that the very worst of them has still been less uncomfortable than remaining in a state of sin longer than I have to.

lol, good for you brother!

And I'll bet you can testify to this too now......................after I go to confession (even an uncomfortable one) . I feel great and always remember telling myself............."God is sooo good to me. He asks for so little.....and He's not tourturing me in the confessional....it was sooo easy!"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.