Confession direct to God

When does the church state confession direct to God is good?

I believe on daily smaller sins they state it is proper application - yes?

Here ya go Markie. this may help…

Catholic Confession
Scriptures About Penance
“I Find No Sacraments In the Bible” he said.

Thanks Church Militant.

I am not really looking to prove that confession to a priest is OK, but I thought I saw a Catholic youtube where it was mentioned confession to God direct for venial sins was not only OK, but a good thing. I’ll have to see if I can find it again.

Was wondering if you guys had any similar references?

Venial sins do not require direct confession to a priest to restore yourself to proper communion with Christ’s body, and I think the point is that, while venial sins are harmful, they don’t break that communion. (I don’t mean excommunication, here. Communion might not be the best word). Sincere repentence and proper disposition in receiving the Eucharist heal whatever is damaged through venial sins.

If I might state my own opinion, and it isn’t reflective of the attitudes on these forums but of what I’ve seen “out there”, is that some people take the mortal vs. venial issue a little too legalistically and venial sins are just shrugged off. I don’t claim I’m perfect, mind, but theologically it seems important to me to remember that all sin is harmful to our relationship with God, including minor ones, even if minor ones don’t count as a full out break or rejection.

Going to regular confession to stay on top of that relationship with God and his Church, even for venial sins, can be a good thing, and help one in striving to be perfect. You just want to be careful of taking that too far into scrupulosity.

During the Mass, the “Confiteor” is a form of confessing our sins directly to God.

Oh okay, Yeah what you saw was actually correct. That’s why we have the penitential rite at the beginning of Mass and the Act of Contrition.

O my God,
I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee,
and I detest all my sins,
because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell;
but most of all because they offend Thee, my God,
Who are all good and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace,
to confess my sins, do penance, and amend my life.
Amen.

That works! I started helping as a CCD teacher last nite, and its alarming where kids are at. We had two girls in class that are smart, A type students, and both put on a test that we worship Mary.

Confession was another issue - thus my probing - and clarifying what I pretty much knew.

Thanks!

Markie Boy.

I confess my sins directly to God before every Sacramental Confession. This is part of what I do in my “examination of conscience”.

There are other times I go “straight to God” as well. But I don’t let that negate how I approach the Confessional though.

Rather I attempt to use going “directly to God” to enhance my Sacramental Confession to the Priest.

I would not whittle down confessing sins to an “either/or” proposition setting up “directly to God” versus Sacramental Confession to the Priest.

I would view it as a “yes/and”.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Sounds good. I find the more I confess smaller issues direct to our Lord, as they happen, the more aware I am of my actions. I think it has helped me grow and improve.

God knows all of our sins whether we confess them to Him or not.

regarding the Sacrament of Reconciliation, it is only here that we receive the words of absolution.

without the words of absolution the sacrament does not occur.

we can be sorry for our sins, we can confess our sins and we can do acts of penance without receiving the sacrament, but we cannot hear and receive the words of absolution without receiving the sacrament.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.