Confession during Latin Mass

We went to a Latin Mass and they had confession going on during Mass. Is this common? Is this right? I was a little put off by it.

I live in Japan, and Confessions are heard during Mass (both during English and Japanese Masses. We don`t have Latin Mass here yet).

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Confessions end at the Sanctus on Sundays and Holy Days. People that adhere to the pre-VII rules do not partake of the Eucharist unless they have been to confession.

It is common to have confession before the TLM. I also have attended NO Masses where there is confession directly before each Mass.
If there is more than one Priest hearing confessions, and the line is long, the non-presiding Priests may continue to hear confessions during the Mass.

This makes perfect sense, so as to allow those confessing to receive.

I wish all parishes would do this. There is nothing more important than allowing those in mortal sin a chance to confess.

God Bless

amen

I agree with being able to confess so that you can receive, however I guess it seems odd to have it DURING Mass.
“And now a reading from the book of Genesis”
“Well, now seems like a good time for me to go to Confession!”
:confused:
Shouldn’t we be attentive and participating?

Generally, those people are already in line at the back of the Church. They can be attentive and participating while waiting, and would only miss the few moments while “in the box”.

But again, if they have Mortal Sin on their souls, it is much better to go to confession, than to be attentive to the Mass. If people need confession, it would be worth delaying the Mass.

God Bless

Our FSSP parish does this,as well, but ends confessions no later than the end of the sermon. This was common on the old days but admittedly, does not seem the ideal practice now. However, this is done by the FSSP in view of the huge numbers who wish to make their confessions. Many come from very long distances (2-3 hours is not uncommon), and frequently with large familes (4-8 kids is very common) and can only get there for Sunday Mass. Even with confessions scheduled before and after Mass, the waits would be tremendous. The folks waiting in line are still present at the Mass. It seems the best solution under the circumstances.

Yes - this is how it works at our parish. If you are in line for Confession, you may continue waiting your turn until just after the Gospel, or until the priest stops hearing people - whatever happens first.

Again, agreeing with bilop, it is much more important to remove the stain of mortal sin (which prevents you from receiving Christ anyway), than to sit in the pew and assist at the Mass. You can not fully participate anyway until the sins are forgiven, so why keep your butt in the seat! :wink:

~Liza

:amen: a worthy confession is a better way of spending one’s time even during mass than sitting there with mortal sin on your soul!

One particular wonderful parish in my area has confessions before each of its numerous daily Masses. On Sundays, however, they keep 'em going round the clock. It’s a blessing in these times when many people are simply too busy to avail themselves of any other opportunity to confess.

By the way, it was seeing the lines for the confessional on a few Sundays that finally gave me the courage to return to the sacrament of confession after more than ten years away from it.

The way it works is that those who go during the first part of each Mass will normally have only missed a small and less-than-critical section - maybe the entrance hymn, maybe part of the homily (admittedly the priests aren’t brilliant homilists for the most part). And can cheerfully participate in the remainder of the Mass.

Those who confess later, say after the homily, are usually those who intend to assist at the following Mass or a later one (they have 'em hourly) and thus don’t miss out on anything either.

When I lived in Mexico, we had confessions during Mass, but in the town I lived, the Mass was a mix of the TLM and Novus Ordo in Spanish, so we had many things I haven’t seen here in English Mass.

This still sounds weird to me…

This still sounds weird to me…

You call it “weird” because it has not been your experience? :confused:

Under the old Canon Law you only had to be present during the Liturgy of the Eucharist (Mass of the Faithful, in the old Missal) to fufil your Sunday obligation. Under the new law there is no specification as to how much attendance “counts”.

It makes perfect sense for a person with Mortal Sin on their soul to confess ASAP. If they miss some of Mass, that’s minor in comparison. People miss part of Mass for all kinds of reasons: crying child, to use the restroom, lateness. Confession is a much better reason.

I would go so far as to say that if it were a daily Mass (not Sunday or Holy Day) the Priest should cancel Mass if necessary to hear confessions.

Being in Mortal Sin is a BIG deal.

God Bless

Genghis-

This is a very common practice and have witnessed it in many traditional parish’s and communitys, usually when there is 2 or more priests at a Extraordinary mass, one priest is praying the Mass and the other is in the confessional, At the Agnus Dei the 2nd priest leaves the confessional to distribute the Blessed Sacrament

That rule (if it ever was a rule) was definitely gone before Vatican II. If you read some of the saints before the 20th century (like St. Therese), it seems you needed permission from your confessor to go to Communion. St. Pius X was the one who really began encouraging more frequent Communion. If you read 20th century saints, like St. Faustina, you see the the current emphasis on it not being necessary unless you are conscious of gave sin (of course, more frequent confession is always encouraged).

What Vatican II did try and do is focus people more on the centrality and importance of the Sunday liturgy–as a whole. Doing other things during the Mass, like confession, was something everyone there agreed was not in the spirit of the Holy Mass.

I disagree with this last point. What could be more in the spirit of the Mass than trying to receive Christ worthily?

Is it better for people to pat rapt attention to the Mass and receive while in Mortal Sin?

God Bless

This makes sense to me now.

I was thinking more like they pay rapt attention to the Mass and don’t receive.

Well that would be the old way, but I don’t think that happens much anymore.

Still, I think getting people out of Mortal Sin is the critical part. Even if they were not to receive, far better that they go to confession.

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.