Confession During the Week

I’m a little confused on the need for confession during the week. I try to make it to daily mass a couple times a week. Sometimes I go to confession but let’s say you are not living in mortal sin. Venial sins are absolved when receiving the Eucharist. So if I go to mass on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday again and if I haven’t committed a mortal sin, what is the need for confession? Of course i will have venial sins in between the masses but I would go to confession right before the daily mass. So if my sins are about to be forgiven when I partake in the Eucharist, why go to confession right before that?

Yes venial sins can be forgiven in MANY ways…prayer, contrition (perfect or imperfect), acts of love, Holy Communion etc etc…even prayerful use of holy water and reading Sacred Scripture also contribute to the forgiveness of venial sins!

But yes frequent confession of venial sins (one does not need a long list…) is a great way in the Spiritual life. Say weekly, or every two weeks or every three etc.

There is more to the Sacrament of Confession-including particular grace to work on those sins:

Catechism:

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church. Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful

scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

I’m a little confused by the title vs. the question. As far as attending Confession without any mortal sin, I agree 100% with the previous poster.

However, if your question was really meant to mean, why should parishes schedule confession during the week, its good for people to be able to attend confession right after a mortal sin. While daily confession might not be practical in all suburban or rural parishes, I do think it is a good idea for parishes in the heart of business districts to offer daily confession or at least 1 or 2 confession times during the week (usually during lunch). In Philadelphia, a few of the parishes (including the Cathedral) in walking distance to a lot of the businesses have confession during the week (typically around lunch time). That’s where I typically attend confession.

God Bless.

Wouldn’t this be the case for confession in general, not just during the week? I usually go during the week because it is easier for me than trying to get in during the scheduled time on Sunday morning.

The official introduction to the Rite of Penance states:

Sorry for the confusion. Put simply, if I haven’t committed a mortal sin, why should/should I go to confession if right after I am going to mass? If communion absolves venial sins, why confess venial sins right before receiving communion

Who told you that you had to?
:shrug:
Confession is strongly advised as a way to grow in holiness. Always a good thing.
But if you are not in a state of mortal sin, you can “not go” for months if you want.
I wouldn’t, but people do only go twice a year sometimes particularly in Advent and Lent.
Again, stressing that this is only reference to small, ,venial sins.
Mortal sins must be confessed ASAP, and before receiving Eucharist.
Weekday confessions are more convenient for some folks.
Also for the priests, who work a lot of hours. :slight_smile:

You don’t need to. Why did you think you had to?

You HAVE to go to confession if you have mortal sin and/or at least once a year.

You MAY go to confession more often to confess venial sins as a way to bring you to holiness, as long as you are not scrupulous. The sacrament brings you Graces, just like receiving Communion.

God Bless.

Nowhere does it say that you have to go to Confession prior to every Mass you attend, if you have made a good examination of conscience and have determined you are still in a state of grace, nothing obliges you to have to go to Confession.

Now, it is an encouraged practice to make Confession a regular thing, because even if you have no Mortal Sin, you still gain grace from the Sacrament, these type are know as Devotional Confessions. It is an admirable thing to do, but not required.

Communion does not “absolve” venial sins. Yes they can be wiped away …but that is different than absolution.

One is free to approach the Sacrament of Confession or one may wait for another time to goto confession for venial sins one wishes to confess.

I never stated that I thought one had to

Hmmm.What is the difference? I assume it has to do with punishment being taken away when you are absolved. Does this mean that if you go to confession right before you die, you will not spend any time in purgatory?

Is it church teaching that communion only forgives our sins and confession absolves our sins?

Particular grace is given in Confession in terms of the sins confessed etc and many other wonderful effects.

Temporal effects of sin can remain after a Confession -but yes confession is one very good way towards lessening such.

Absolution is only about the Sacrament of Confession.

The quote there above go into some of the benefits of frequent confession.

Here is more on the effects of confession:

Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

1. What are the effects of this sacrament?

1468-1470

The effects of the sacrament of Penance are: reconciliation with God and therefore the forgiveness of sins; reconciliation with the Church; recovery, if it has been lost, of the state of grace; remission of the eternal punishment merited by mortal sins, and remission, at least in part, of the temporal punishment which is the consequence of sin; peace, serenity of conscience and spiritual consolation; and an increase of spiritual strength for the struggle of Christian living.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

In the Russian Orthodox Church it is a common practice to go to Confession before every Holy Communion service. I find this a bit too much to handle yet the Russian Orthodox will not find it hard to follow. Perhaps it is too much in practice to go to Confession as often as Holy Communion is celebrated. Venial sins are always taken care of in every Holy Communion. They is no need to remind the priest of your daily sins if they are venial in nature. Perhaps it is practiced by some since there is no general confession or other practices to help the penitent with their spiritual life, so the need to go to a priest is the only option. It is to my understanding that a healthy observation of going to Confession periodically let us say once a month or even once every two months is a better standard than going to Confession as often as you mentioned. You are probably going to repeat yourself anyway confession after confession since we are probably dealing with the same sins if we are only committing venial sins. It is good to know your sins but it is even better to grow to bring love into the world. Therefore acts of mercy to one’s neighbor would always propel you into greater sanctity than if you are only going to Mass or even to Confession. People are often overly concern that their spiritual life is not going anywhere with all these Confessions. The late Archbishop Fulton Sheen was asked that when an older man had asked him that these Confessions of his is not making him any better. The Archbishop with his quick wit said to him, “Well you are not getting any worse!” If we are not getting any worse it is still a great feat! If you want to practice Confession periodically let us say monthly that is up for you to decide. It may do you better to practice this for it will leave you more room to practice acts of mercy.

Frequent confession is a good thing in order to make use of the graces of the Sacrament to advance in Love of God and others, even though one’s sins are only venial. Pope Francis is said to go every 15 days. However, one thing stated in an above post should be clarified. The Church teaches that one must go to Confession once a year (during the Easter time, at the very least) IF one has a mortal sin on their conscience. If one has only venial sin on their conscience they are not REQUIRED by Church Law to confess at all over any length of time.

Livia

Holy Father, before the day of my First Communion I went to confession. I have also been to confession on other occasions. I wanted to ask you: do I have to go to confession every time I receive Communion, even when I have committed the same sins? Because I realize that they are always the same.

I will tell you two things. The first, of course, is that you do not always have to go to confession before you receive Communion unless you have committed such serious sins that they need to be confessed. Therefore, it is not necessary to make one’s confession before every Eucharistic Communion. This is the first point. It is only necessary when you have committed a really serious sin, when you have deeply offended Jesus, so that your friendship is destroyed and you have to start again. Only in that case, when you are in a state of “mortal” sin, in other words, grave (sin), is it necessary to go to confession before Communion. This is my first point.

My second point: even if, as I said, it is not necessary to go to confession before each Communion, it is very helpful to confess with a certain regularity. It is true: our sins are always the same, but we clean our homes, our rooms, at least once a week, even if the dirt is always the same; in order to live in cleanliness, in order to start again. Otherwise, the dirt might not be seen but it builds up. Something similar can be said about the soul, for me myself: if I never go to confession, my soul is neglected and in the end I am always pleased with myself and no longer understand that I must always work hard to improve, that I must make progress. And this cleansing of the soul which Jesus gives us in the Sacrament of Confession helps us to make our consciences more alert, more open, and hence, it also helps us to mature spiritually and as human persons. Therefore, two things: confession is only necessary in the case of a serious sin, but it is very helpful to confess regularly in order to foster the cleanliness and beauty of the soul and to mature day by day in life.

~ Pope Benedict XVI (answering childrens questions)

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2005/october/documents/hf_ben_xvi_spe_20051015_meeting-children_en.html

But what I have read in this thread is that communion forgives sins but not absolves them, so there is still a benefit in going to confession

Not quite.

You HAVE to go to confession at least once a year if you have mortal sin. See the difference?

And yes, I know there are many benefits to confession more frequently. I simply am clarifying the “minimum requirement”.

I’ve never understood how one can sit around and wait a year after committing mortal sin(s).

:shrug:

Yes there is a benefit from going to Confession but the Holy Communion forgives, absolves and cleanses all at the same time. Yet the Sacrament of Confession will help you to acknowledge whatever weaknesses you have and this is good when we can actually label our sins and weaknesses. People who only go to Mass will receive cleansing from their venial sins but those who also go to Confession and to Mass will receive more. Here I am not referring to you been absolved but knowing your sins personally and expressing them in the presence of the priest will help you more to receive the Holy Spirit. You are absolved in both Sacraments but it is wiser to attend to Confession even if you only had committed venial sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.