Confession Help

Hi, I know there are probably many other threads regarding this topic but i was unable to find any of them in my searches (the search on the forums doesn’t seem to be very high quality and any tips would be much appreciated)

My question, however, is that I went to confession today, but i forgot to mention a sin that was mortal. Was this sin absolved? I intend on going next Saturday to confess this sin, but I want to know whether or not i should receive the Eucharist.

Also, a website I found said that this sin would be absolved, and that i should just make sure to confess it at my next confession. catholic.org/prayers/confession.php

Thank You

That’s pretty much it; just confess it at your next confession and you’re fine. Priests don’t mind if you say “oh, I forgot to confess blah blah blah last time” - they’re more than happy to hear it :slight_smile:

If a mortal sin is honestly forgotten…yes it is still absolved…and one would be required to confess it next confession…not that you have to go sooner on that account.

(we assume you were sorry for it…or for all your mortal sins…etc and would have confessed it if you remembered it)

So yes one may go still to communion in the meantime…

Only God knows. I doubt it. There are a lot of reasons why we “forget” (mortal sin??..come on. Shouldn’t that be falling out of your mouth? )

I am not an expert.

Make an intent to confess it plainly and then confess it as soon as feasible. I would hold off receiving Communion…it’s in your mind now…you know you’ve sinned. Why compound it? It’s a sin to knowingly receive the Eucharist unworthily.

Make a spiritual communion instead. One form of it: “I wish to receive you my Lord, with the purity, humility, and devotion with which your Blessed Mother received you, with the spirit and fervor of the Saints”

I try to follow a “worst first” approach to confession. Get them on the table first. Simple language. No mumbihood. Clear accusations. “I accuse my self of masturbation” I accuse myself of deliberately nursing resentment".

Only God knows. I doubt it. There are a lot of reasons why we “forget” (mortal sin??)

I am not an expert.

Make an intent to confess it plainly and then confess it as soon as feasible. I would hold off receiving Communion…it’s in your mind now…you know you’ve sinned. Why compound it? It’s a sin to knowingly receive the Eucharist unworthily.

Make a spiritual communion instead. One form of it: “I wish to receive you my Lord, with the purity, humility, and devotion with which your Blessed Mother received you, with the spirit and fervor of the Saints”

I try to follow a “worst first” approach to confession. Get them on the table first. Simple language. No mumbihood. Clear accusations. “I accuse my self of masturbation” I accuse myself of deliberately nursing resentment".

If you absolutely can be sure that this sin was truly forgotten then it is a valid confession and valid confessions forgive ALL sins. There can be NO partial absolutions. If you, let’s just say, intentionally neglected to mention a mortal sin (or one that you discerned was mortal) then the entire confession was invalid and ALL of your sins remain including any other mortal sins that may have confessed. You would also have to mention that you intentionally left out a mortal sin for this is also an abuse of the sacrament.

In your case, taken at face value, I would have to say that you can receive the Eucharist and then just mention this sin next time for your humble admission of guilt for a sin already forgiven. God bless you and may you be at peace… teachccd

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.