Confession; is still necessary?

"*Reconcillation"/ "Pennance" / "Confession" *

Is this sacrament still essential?

Why don't more Catholics use it? I read a PEW report from a few years ago which reported that perhpas as many as "90% of self-professed [who still attend Mass] Catholics do not go to Confession, even Once a year":o

[quote="PJM, post:1, topic:309905"]
"*Reconcillation"/ "Pennance" / "Confession" *

Is this sacrament still essential?

Why don't more Catholics use it? I read a PEW report from a few years ago which reported that perhpas as many as "90% of self-professed [who still attend Mass] Catholics do not go to Confession, even Once a year":o

[/quote]

Speaking from experience, I think it's either because people do not know or because they could feel somewhat discouraged/'afraid' for a number of reasons (cf. the 'shame' factor). I know, because the latter describes me. Yes, I'm a coward, to my utter shame. :(

that really bums me out…because I would be much more afraid of hell if I didn’t go to confession. it is such a liberating experience, to know that you are able to accept God’s sanctifying grace once again!

Hi PJM,

There is an obligation to confess at least once a year if you have committed a grievous sin; you can then receive communion at Easter time. But receiving the sacraments is always a source of grace.

Why don't Catholics confess as often as they used to? Partly, it is because many used to believe that you had to confess every time you wanted to receive comunion. Partly also, it is because there may be fewer priests and confessions are not scheduled as often. But mostly, I think, it is because there is less fervor among Catholics. Religion is not as present in the homes as it used to be. As you can see, it is part of a much larger problem.

What do you think?

Verbum

[quote="datritle, post:3, topic:309905"]
that really bums me out...because I would be much more afraid of hell if I didn't go to confession. it is such a liberating experience, to know that you are able to accept God's sanctifying grace once again!

[/quote]

That's why I'm asking for courage. I'm too broken.

[quote="patrick457, post:5, topic:309905"]
That's why I'm asking for courage. I'm too broken.

[/quote]

you are never too broken. God never gives us more than we can handle, and the freedom you will feel after making your confession will outweigh any hesitation you feel now. infinitely.

[quote="Verbum, post:4, topic:309905"]
Hi PJM,

There is an obligation to confess at least once a year if you have committed a grievous sin; you can then receive communion at Easter time. But receiving the sacraments is always a source of grace.

Why don't Catholics confess as often as they used to? Partly, it is because many used to believe that you had to confess every time you wanted to receive comunion. Partly also, it is because there may be fewer priests and confessions are not scheduled as often. But mostly, I think, it is because there is less fervor among Catholics. Religion is not as present in the homes as it used to be. As you can see, it is part of a much larger problem.

What do you think?

Verbum

[/quote]

We have lost the sense of sin, and if you don't sin then you don't have to go to confession. Sin is rarely, if ever, mentioned in a homily. Rather we hear, "God loves us no matter what we do," without mention of repentance and confession.

Because of this we have people who are in invalid marriages who regularly go to Communion, yet never go to confession. We have people who are shacked up who regularly go to Communion because, well, 'thou shall not commit adultery' only applies to married people who cheat on their spouse. Lots of people I know will brag about what they bring home from work and others applaud them for their 'luck' in being able to get away with the thefts.

The last Penitential Service I attended had a Commandment by Commandment Examination of Conscience which asked some very direct questions. People afterwards complained that it was inappropriate. Inappropriate to actually tell you what kinds of things break the various commandments?? I could understand if there had been some very young children present but there weren't, the average age of the attendees was probably 55.

Actually the obligation is there whether you have committed grievous sin or not.

I struggle with when to go to confession as well, i mean if we are told to at least go once a year, then wouldn't that suggest that we as Catholics can only recieve Communion once a year ?

then even if one does not actually commit a real sin of any nature one still has original sin to deal with or the fact that one is human and can never be perfect so, then shouldn't one still go to reconciliation ?

Seems like Saturday Reconciliation is needed weekly for all to attend to be able to recieve Communion on Sunday ?

I have been a practicing Catholic all my life, I haven't been able to figure this sacrement out, I agree that it is still needed, an look it at as a blessing and not something to be embarressed about going too anymore...

one needs to be reminded from time to time that we are not confessing the the priest but to God/ Christ Himself.

once one starts to build a stronger relationship with Christ, the need for reconciliation to me becomes more of a need, then again even if one hasn't committed a sin of any sort, is the need to go still there ?

and what to do when one is unsure of what constitutes a venial or mortal sin, does one just go, the better safe than sorry route. or does one need to really discern the matter ?

Reconciliation i think hear mentioned more during the time of Advent i know i heard it brought up more this year than last, and during Easter, seems in between things simmer down in being mentioned.

I actually like going to Confession.

To me it is like a spiritual shower, helping me feel clean and I also need to talk to someone about my spiritual struggles.

=patrick457;10189828]Speaking from experience, I think it's either because people do not know or because they could feel somewhat discouraged/'afraid' for a number of reasons (cf. the 'shame' factor). I know, because the latter describes me. Yes, I'm a coward, to my utter shame. :(

My friend,

Consider this::o

That very factor was forseen by our Perfect and all knowing God; who nvertheless COMMANDS and dictatkes that ONLY His way will result in the forgiveness of sin.

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10 "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

*1John.5 Verses 16 to 17 *"If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

John.20 Verses 20 to 23" When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained"

There are NO new sins; none the priest has not heard before. PLUS he is bound under the penalty of gravest consquences to hold yuor confession in ABSOLUTE privavy and confedentially;)

GET TO CONFESSION!

God Bless,
pat/PJM

I beleive that it is very essential, even more so than ever. I must confess that I’ve always been kinda nervous confessing my sins since I started participating in catholic grade school. I still get nervous, but now I am trying to attend confession more often, because it is such a good feeling to come out of confession and know that your sins are forgiven. My advice is before confession, make a good examination of conscience; it’ll help a lot.

as someone else said, it is soooo true that the priest has HEARD IT ALL! and many times, at that. don't feel shame, feel remorse and then feel freedom!

=Phemie;10190045]We have lost the sense of sin, and if you don't sin then you don't have to go to confession. Sin is rarely, if ever, mentioned in a homily. Rather we hear, "God loves us no matter what we do," without mention of repentance and confession.

Because of this we have people who are in invalid marriages who regularly go to Communion, yet never go to confession. We have people who are shacked up who regularly go to Communion because, well, 'thou shall not commit adultery' only applies to married people who cheat on their spouse. Lots of people I know will brag about what they bring home from work and others applaud them for their 'luck' in being able to get away with the thefts.

The last Penitential Service I attended had a Commandment by Commandment Examination of Conscience which asked some very direct questions. People afterwards complained that it was inappropriate. Inappropriate to actually tell you what kinds of things break the various commandments?? I could understand if there had been some very young children present but there weren't, the average age of the attendees was probably 55.

The Church COULD USE more priest like this IMO:o

It is necessary if you want to go to heaven.

Hi normbetland,

Actually the obligation is there whether you have committed grievous sin or not

The obligation to confess once a year only applies if you have sinned grievously :

Can. 989 All the faithful who have reached the age of discretion are bound faithfully to confess their grave sins at least once a year.

Verbum

=jsaldar;10190486]It is necessary if you want to go to heaven.

amen!:thumbsup:

Hi Phemie,

We have lost the sense of sin, and if you don’t sin then you don’t have to go to confession. Sin is rarely, if ever, mentioned in a homily. Rather we hear, “God loves us no matter what we do,” without mention of repentance and confession.

Yes, “sin” is rarely mentionned. One of my favorite priests replaces the word with the expression “lack of love”. I’m thinking of e-mailing him my concerns. Of course, it’s a reaction to an era when there was more talk of hell than heaven. Let’ s pray for a balanced approach.

Verbum

[quote="patrick457, post:2, topic:309905"]
Speaking from experience, I think it's either because people do not know or because they could feel somewhat discouraged/'afraid' for a number of reasons (cf. the 'shame' factor). I know, because the latter describes me. Yes, I'm a coward, to my utter shame. :(

[/quote]

When I feel apprehensive about going to Confession I read this article lifeteen.com/my-side-of-the-confessional-what-is-it-like-for-a-priest/ it might help your feelings towards the things which repel you form the Sacrament

Hi 10

it is such a good feeling to come out of confession and know that your sins are forgiven.

.. . and that you come closer to Jesus.

Verbum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.