Confession, mortal and venial sin

I’m pretty sure I have not committed any mortal sins. When I go to confession, it is usually the same venial sins. I know I can confess venial sins directly to God so am I wasting my priest’s time by going to confession with only venial sins. I know this may sound silly but it has been bugging me a lot.

Does everyone usually commit a mortal sin, eventually? Is it unrealistic for me to say that I know I don’t commit mortal sins? I need a really good simple book explaining the Sacrament of Confession…but that’s another thread. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Obviously, I cannot tell you whether or not you commit mortal sins. :wink:

But never feel that you are wasting your priest’s time by confessing only venial sins. Without regular confession, venial sins can easily lead to mortal sins. Keep on availing yourself of the grace of the Sacrament. :thumbsup:

You are not wasting your time confessing venial sins. Remember that most of the saints would go to confession at least every other week if not every week. Through the graces received from confession, it can help eliminate even venial sins from our lives. We are called to be perfect as our heavenly father is perfect.

As we draw closer to God, we start to become more aware of imperfections. It is very possible that you are commiting sins that you are unaware of. With frequent confession and the desire to serve God you will start to see these imperfections that you don’t see right now. That’s all part of the journey and be thankful that you don’t have mortal sins to confess. Also by getting into the habit of frequent confession, if you do commit a mortal sin, it will be much easier to go and confess it.

Yes venial sins can be forgiven in many ways (prayer etc) (let us daily pray for such) but bring some to confession --and even focusing in on working on some particular ones is very good.

Catechism:

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church. Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful:

Whoever confesses his sins . . . is already working with God. God indicts your sins; if you also indict them, you are joined with God. Man and sinner are, so to speak, two realities: when you hear “man” - this is what God has made; when you hear “sinner” - this is what man himself has made. Destroy what you have made, so that God may save what he has made. . . . When you begin to abhor what you have made, it is then that your good works are beginning, since you are accusing yourself of your evil works. The beginning of good works is the confession of evil works. You do the truth and come to the light.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm#1458

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.