Confession on a Sunday

Is it possible to go to Confession (or request to have the sacrament) on a Sunday?

I always do so. Our priest hear confessions before and during all masses. There are some limits if there is only one priest, but John XXIII explicitly advised to provide opportunity for confession during the masses: God wants pure hearts.

yes if there is a priest available, It is not considerate except in an emergency to ask a priest to delay Mass for confession. Bear in mind most priests are already celebrating several Masses without much time even for personal needs, let alone prayer and reflection between.

when my spiritual director was at my parish, we would meet one Sunday after the first mass of the day (in between masses). There is an hour and a half between the end of the first mass and the second mass. Now that he moved 25 minutes away we meet on Saturdays before the regular Saturday confession time.

My pastor hears confessions starting thirty minutes before ALL Masses. That includes weekdays and weekends.

Roman Catholic Doctrine Vs. The Doctrinal Teaching of the Word of God

Eternal life is a merited reward [1821, 2010]. - Roman Catholicism
Eternal life is the free gift of God (Romans 6:23)

No one can know if he will attain eternal life [1036, 2005] - Roman Catholicism
The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God (1 John 5:13)

The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation [846]. - Roman Catholicism
There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ, “for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)

Purgatory is necessary to atone for sin and clean the soul [1030-1031]. - Roman Catholicism
Purgatory does not exist. Jesus made purification for sins on the cross (Hebrews 1:3)

Mary was preserved from all stain of original sin from the first instant of her conception (the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception) [490-492].
Mary, a descendant of Adam, was born in sin (Psalm 51:5; Romans 5:12)

Mary is the Mother of the Church [963, 975]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was the earthly mother of Jesus ( John 2:1)

The Magisterium is the authoritative teacher of the Church. [85-87]. - Roman Catholicism
The Holy Spirit is the authoritative teacher of the church (John 14:26; John 16:13, I John 2:27)

The pope, as the Bishop of Rome, is the successor of Peter [882, 936] - Roman Catholicism
Peter had no successor, nor was he a pope.

The pope is infallible in his authoritative teaching [891]. - Roman Catholicism
God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19)

Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God [81, 85, 97, 182]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the Word of God (John 10:35, 2 Timothy 3:15-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21). Tradition is the words of men (Mark 7:1-13).

The sacrificial work of redemption is continually carried out through the Sacrifice of the Mass. [1364,1405, 1846]. - Roman Catholicism
The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 1:3).

God desires that consecrated bread and wine be worshiped as divine. [1378-1381] - Roman Catholicism
God forbids the worship of any object, even t hose intended to represent Him (Exodus 20:4-5, Isaiah 42:8)

Justification is lost through mortal sin [1033, 1855, 1874] - Roman Catholicism
Justification cannot be lost. Those whom God justifies will be saved from the wrath of God (Romans 5:8-9).

Justification is furthered by sacraments and good works [1212, 1392, 2010] - Roman Catholicism
Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). In Christ the believer has been made complete (Colossians 2:10).

Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments [183, 1129, 1815, 2002]. - Roman Catholicism
Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Good works are the result, not the cause, of salvation (Ephesians 2:10).

Mary, “the All-Holy,” lived a perfectly sinless life [411, 493]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was a sinner; God alone is sinless (Luke 18:19, Romans 3:23, Revelation 15:4).

Mary was a virgin before, during, and after the birth of Christ [496-511]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:25). Later she had other children (Matthew 13:55-56, Psalm 69:8).

Each Sacrifice of the Mass appeases God’s wrath against sin [1371, 1414]. - Roman Catholicism
The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God’s wrath against sin. (Hebrews 10:12-18).

The Bishops, with the Pope, as their head, rule the universal church. [883, 894-896]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ, the head of the body is the Head of the Church. (Colossians 1:18).

The faithful receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure through the Sacrifice of the Mass [1366, 1407]. - Roman Catholicism
Believers receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure in Christ through faith (Ephesians 1:3-14).

God has exalted Mary in heavenly glory as Queen of Heaven and Earth [966]. She is to be praised with special devotion [971, 2675]. - Roman Catholicism
The name of the Lord is to be praised, for He alone is exalted above heaven and earth (Psalm 148:13). God commands, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” (Exodus 20:3).

Mary is the co-mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions 9 968-970, 2677] - Roman Catholicism
Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5, John 14:13-14, 1 Peter 5:7).

Mary is the co-redeemer, for she participate with Christ in the painful act of redemption [618, 964, 968, 970]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18-19).

The sacrifice of the cross is perpetuated in the Sacrifice of the Mass [1323, 1382] - Roman Catholicism
The Sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).

Indulgences dispensed by the Church for acts of piety release sinners from temporal punishment [1471-1473]. - Roman Catholicism
Jesus releases believers from their sins by His blood. (Revelation 1:5).

The Magisterium has the right to define truth found only obscurely or implicitly in revelation. [66, 88, 2035, 2051]. - Roman Catholicism
No one has the right to go beyond what is written in Scripture (1 Corinthians 4:6, Proverbs 30:5-6).

Scripture and Tradition together are the Church’s supreme role of faith [80, 82]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the church’s rule of faith (Mark 7:7-13, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Let my God help him, and the other priests who do so, to keep their habits.

During Lent my parish hears confessions for 30min before mass. I have also scheduled a private appointment and met with a Priest on Sunday in the past.

Of course. It all depends on a priest’s availability. Usually smaller parishes with only one priest will likely not have time for confession if he has to prepare for more than one Mass. But for bigger parishes with more priests, its not uncommon for one of the priests to be available for confession in between Masses or even during the Mass itself.

Yes. I go to a church where the priest hears confessions before and after Mass. That said, I have been refused Confession by a priest because it was outside of his scheduled 30 minutes/month and it wasn’t an emergency. Some priests will, and some won’t. You’ll have the most success, I find, before and after EF Masses.

At the Latin Mass I attend on occasion, they offer confession both before and after Mass every day. Actually, when I go, it’s almost always to take advantage of that. My local parish has confession for 45 minutes, then 30 minutes, and the wait is usually so long that I end up missing parts of church.

Sometimes I ask priests after mass if they have time for a quick confession. I have never been turned down. They are so generous with their time. Usually I just have to wait a few minutes while they finish greeting everyone that leaves the church then they’ll walk me to the confessional and hear it.

None of the churches that I have regularly attended have started having confessions heard before Sunday mass, but if they did, I would take advantage of it!

We don’t usually have confession scheduled on Sundays beacuse with 4 morning Masses, it is very crowded and the priests are already busy. However, during Lent we have a parish mission and then there is confession straight through from the beginning of the first Mass until the line runs out after the last Mass. We also will have 5 or 6 priests available during that time, so those that are celebrating Mass have time to prepare beforehand.

Many larger parishes or cathedrals will have liberal confession schedules on Sundays.

Yes!

Whether there is a priest available for this is another matter.

There are times when some sacraments are not available, e.g. most sacraments are not available (excepting certain emergency situations) on Holy Saturday. However, the Sacrament of Penance is available at all times. Obviously, it would be inappropriate to ring your parish priest at 2 a.m. to hear your confession (unless a doctor’s told you that you’ve an hour to live).

I just read a newsletter from a priest on mission in a third world country and he said
he had to make an announcement at Mass so that people wouldn’t ask him to hear
their confession DURING mass (when someone else was reading)

I thought that was hilarious!

Just one of the driveing forces behind me moving from the NO parish I attended for 17 months to the TLM only parish where I now worship, was the lack of confessional opportunity for me. I must work and I am always sheduled Saturdays and always during the 1 hour allowed for confession, 4 - 5 P.M.
Now I can always receive the sacrament before Mass. Always.

John Lilburne provides a link to a YouTube recording of Abp Chaput discussing confession on Sunday, in his thread seeking YouTube (or similar) examples of several suggestions in the GIRM and other documents.

Looking for good examples

At our parish not only can you confess on Sunday, right now during Lent you have the opportunity to choose one of 3 confessionals set up at at the front of the church :thumbsup::thumbsup: two Sundays ago they even had a 4th confessional set up behind the Altar :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I have yet to see a short line for confessions at our parish on Sunday’s before mass, although just a warning, most of the time the lines are so long that you will not get your confession in at that time. In that case if you don’t get your confession heard before mass and you are in a state of mortal sin you should not receive the Eucharist! You can always come to confession at a variety of times during the week!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.