confession problem

Hello, all:

I am a recent convert to Catholicism, and I am struggling with this weird attitude about confession. It’s not that I have a problem with it, in fact I like it way too much. After I go, I can’t get the session out of my head and I replay everything I said and everything the priest said. Then I start getting obsessed with when I’m going to go back and what I can say. I don’t think I’m scrupulous, although I have some of those tendencies. I have the temptation to just make up grave sins to tell in confession, or even worse, to commit grave sins so that I can confess them!! I guess my first experience of God’s mercy was so powerful that I want more, more, more!! If anyone has maybe experienced the same thing, or has advice on how to get the proper attitude toward confession, please post!!
Thank you and God Bless!

-Birdie74

[quote=birdie74]Hello, all:

I am a recent convert to Catholicism, and I am struggling with this weird attitude about confession. It’s not that I have a problem with it, in fact I like it way too much. After I go, I can’t get the session out of my head and I replay everything I said and everything the priest said. Then I start getting obsessed with when I’m going to go back and what I can say. I don’t think I’m scrupulous, although I have some of those tendencies. I have the temptation to just make up grave sins to tell in confession, or even worse, to commit grave sins so that I can confess them!! I guess my first experience of God’s mercy was so powerful that I want more, more, more!! If anyone has maybe experienced the same thing, or has advice on how to get the proper attitude toward confession, please post!!
Thank you and God Bless!

-Birdie74
[/quote]

Talk to a priest about this…

Confession is a very sacred. Talk about it with your priest and not with us. No offense, but in confession you can talk about anything, so why ask us when the man to ask is your priest? Sorry to be hardline.

[quote=birdie74] … I have the temptation to just make up grave sins to tell in confession, or even worse, to commit grave sins so that I can confess them!! I guess my first experience of God’s mercy was so powerful that I want more, more, more!! …
[/quote]

Scripture tells us that the upright and holy person sins seven times a day.This means that you do not need to make up sins or purposely commit them because a really deep examination of conscious will more than likely reveal actual sins which need to be confessed and forgiven. The Pope himself feels that he needs to confess his sins three times a week. Mother Theresa went to daily confession.

It sounds like you have developed a wonderful awareness of the grace of God available through Reconciliation. But you also recognize the need to avoid abusing the sacrament. Do you have this same recognition of grace present in the Holy Eucharist? For Christ is even more present there, His mercy and forgiveness even more tangible. When you feel such a strong need for grace, even though you cannot think of anything to confess, perhaps you should go to Mass and receive Communion instead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.