Confession Problem?

Hi all!

I was baptized around Easter of 2012 after RCIA, it was after a Sunday Mass. I had planned on taking First Communion on the following Sunday, not even aware that I needed to go to confession. I had thought since baptism removed all sin there was no need to but canon law says so but this was before I knew. I ended up committing a mortal sin a few days after my baptism though so I knew then that I needed to go to confession. I put it off for over a year until today. I of course regret putting it off but was always afraid to do it. I went today and confessed anonymously, by this time I had multiple mortal sins on my conscience. I barely even got myself to get in the room when it was time but I did it finally. It really felt great but now I am a bit worried. I had written down a list of mortal sins that I had committed from an examination of conscience. There were 2 or so mortal sins that I could not decide if I had committed them or not. One I decided not to confess because on my way to the church I had come to the conclusion I didnt commit it . The second one I could not decide if it would be "covered" by the broad statement of lust. It was a specific sort of lust I guess, more of a thought not a lust but none the less I decided I would confess it. Once I got in the confessional I was so nervous I skipped over it but then came back to it but didn't confess it since I thought that lust would cover it. Anyway now I am worried I committed sacrilege and I will not be able to take my first communion tomorrow, since I only confessed lust but then did not go on to confess a specific type of lust. Should I take communion tomorrow or not. I usually do not have scrupulosity problems but perhaps I am now.

Thanks

Yes, all sins committed prior to your Baptism were forgiven. I'm surprised you were not confirmed and received Holy Communion when you were baptized. It must have been an emergency situation for you?

We cannot answer your question about whether or not you are in a state of grace. That's something for you to discuss with a priest in the confessional. But since you seem anxious, my suggestion is that you not receive the Eucharist until you are at peace about the state of your soul, so that this significant milestone in your journey of faith will bring you great joy.

[quote="Mercy4Life, post:1, topic:336605"]
Hi all!

I was baptized around Easter of 2012 after RCIA, it was after a Sunday Mass. I had planned on taking First Communion on the following Sunday, not even aware that I needed to go to confession. I had thought since baptism removed all sin there was no need to but canon law says so but this was before I knew. I ended up committing a mortal sin a few days after my baptism though so I knew then that I needed to go to confession. I put it off for over a year until today. I of course regret putting it off but was always afraid to do it. I went today and confessed anonymously, by this time I had multiple mortal sins on my conscience. I barely even got myself to get in the room when it was time but I did it finally. It really felt great but now I am a bit worried. I had written down a list of mortal sins that I had committed from an examination of conscience. There were 2 or so mortal sins that I could not decide if I had committed them or not. One I decided not to confess because on my way to the church I had come to the conclusion I didnt commit it . The second one I could not decide if it would be "covered" by the broad statement of lust. It was a specific sort of lust I guess, more of a thought not a lust but none the less I decided I would confess it. Once I got in the confessional I was so nervous I skipped over it but then came back to it but didn't confess it since I thought that lust would cover it. Anyway now I am worried I committed sacrilege and I will not be able to take my first communion tomorrow, since I only confessed lust but then did not go on to confess a specific type of lust. Should I take communion tomorrow or not. I usually do not have scrupulosity problems but perhaps I am now.

Thanks

[/quote]

See the priest before Mass. Every priest should be available prior to Mass for times like these.

A confession is valid unless one deliberately withholds a mortal sin. If one confesses a kind of mortal sin (eg. "Lust") without being more specific then, in general, if the confessor hasn't asked for clarification then you have confessed adequately.

...since I only confessed lust but then did not go on to confess a specific type of lust.

[/quote]

If it was only a thought, rather than an action, then confessing the thought "lust" is enough. If the confessor needs to know more, then he will ask. OTOH, to confess "lust" when you meant "adultery" (physical) or "homosexual activity" may be invalid.

See How Specific In Confession [CAF. Fr Serpa]

You need to name the sin. But you don't have to go into detail.
For example, just saying "fornication" is enough. One would not have to explaine more about it--unless the priest asks for clarification.

Hi all!

Thanks

[/quote]

Confessing your " sin " as lust doesn't cover it. " I committed 25, impure thoughts, 6 of desire, I concented to physical sexual excitement and so on. " You must be specific as to kind and number and any circumstance which would make it worse.

You cannot commit a mortal sin unless the matter is serious, unless you know it is serious, and unless you give full consent to committing the act.

So go back to confession and explain your problem. Don't be afraid, the priest is there to help you. Remember, you are really confessing your sins to Jesus, he wants to forgive you, he died for you - remember that.

But you are going to have to get serious about that sin you are committing. Some devils are cast out only by prayer and fasting - and keeping occupied in good activity and avoid the occasions of sin.

Skip communion until you get this fixed.

Linus2nd

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:5, topic:336605"]

So go back to confession and explain your problem.

[/quote]

He has already been to confession, and the priest heard everything he needs to hear. The OP did not deliberately withhold a mortal sin.

My advice is to trust the first confessor. If you don't trust him, then why would you trust the next?

Your post brought back memories of when I had entered the church. One priest advised me to let the priest to whom I was confessing know what I was concerned about and let him sort it all out. Another thing I have done is simply state that I needed help and my intention was to make a full and complete confession. What a relief!! Also, go on You Tube and search for Fr. Larry Richards' Confession video.

[quote="Edmundus1581, post:6, topic:336605"]
He has already been to confession, and the priest heard everything he needs to hear. The OP did not deliberately withhold a mortal sin.

My advice is to trust the first confessor. If you don't trust him, then why would you trust the next?

[/quote]

Yes if a priest needs more details he will ask.

Mary.

Normally, when an adult is baptized, he immediately receives holy communion after that, so one does not need to go to confession, because baptism has washed one clean. In this case, it sounds as if there was not immediate (i.e., on the same day) communion, so the intervening time of a few days may have necessitated confession.

If you have doubts, just include the sin during the next confession. However, trust your confessor.

Hi all!

Thanks for all the answers I decided to take my first communion today. After praying and thinking about it intensely I realized that I was being scrupulous and that I did my best in confession. I will nonetheless talk to my confessor about this and clarify what I am talking about sin wise. I myself was confused why I didn't receive all the sacraments, but it wasn't my call. Thanks for all the answers!

[quote="Mercy4Life, post:10, topic:336605"]
Hi all!

Thanks for all the answers I decided to take my first communion today. After praying and thinking about it intensely I realized that I was being scrupulous and that I did my best in confession. I will nonetheless talk to my confessor about this and clarify what I am talking about sin wise. I myself was confused why I didn't receive all the sacraments, but it wasn't my call. Thanks for all the answers!

[/quote]

Thankyou for the follow up, and congratulations on your first communion!

"I did my best in confession. "

:thumbsup:

If you can say that with a good conscience, then you are always free to go in peace. If you have any questions then by all means take them to confession next time, but don't sweat it until then.

[quote="Mercy4Life, post:10, topic:336605"]
Hi all!

[/quote]

Wonderful!
I hope your pastor has scheduled your Confirmation!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.