Confession question...Lord's name in vain?

The other day, we were watching TV and I made a humorous comment about one of the characters to the effect of “Well maybe you should mind your own GD business!” I am not in the habit of saying GD at all, it just seemed funny at the time. Well, a split second before I said it, I thought about it but said it anyway and I immediately felt bad about it (I just went to confession recently). Am I in mortal sin? Can I still receive communion at Mass today?

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. In conversation with someone, I used “GD” as an adjective to describe a faulty procedure (i.e. not another person). It slipped out, and I felt terrible about it as soon as I said it.

I talked with my priest and asked him if it was a mortal sin. He said “most probably not.” I didn’t actually request that the Lord damn somebody. I didn’t willfully continue using, and meaning, the phrase. Since it slipped out, without malice aforethought, and I stopped as soon as it did, I wasn’t using the phrase with full consent of the will.

Had I said this directly to a person “GD YOU!” or had I continued to use the phrase in a tempered rant once it slipped out and I knew it was a horrible thing to say, I would have been in mortal sin.

However, it is definitely a nasty venial sin. As someone wise once said, “expand your vocabulary so you don’t let this sort of phrase slip out.”

Also, this really isn’t “using the Lord’s name in vain.” That would be using the Lord’s name to swear an oath falsely. What I did (and you described) is more along the lines of blasphemy.

You might also look on the moral theology board here at CAF. You will find many different opinions.

I have a very naught young cat. Most obstepterous one I have ever had. Gets into everything. I found myself swearing at her and using the Lord’s name in vain (not to be bad, but yelling at her was in vain). Decided to find some new things to say that she won’t listen to either! I don’t usually swear and didn’t like what I was doing. Even if it is considered a venial sin, it does take away the grace of God and can lead to worse.

First of all, the Mortal Sin Issue and yes, it has become an issue. It is frustrating to see, well intentioned, good Catholics going around on blogs and forums like this, crying, "This is a mortal sin! That’s a mortal sin! They’re in mortal sin!’

Mortal Sin 101-

It takes 3 things to commit a mortal sin:

1. It has to be a “grievous” matter. A serious violation of one of The 10 Commandments or precepts of the Church.

2. There has to be sufficient reflection.

3. There has to be full consent of the will.

If one of those things is missing, you have not committed a mortal sin.

Unfortunately, many Catholics (or people who identify themselves as such) today have not received even the most rudimentary catechetical training sufficient to form a solid, Catholic conscience. That brings into question their culpability of determining the gravity of a matter or the sufficient reflection significant to fully consent to doing damage. I emphasize “brings into question,” because the Catechism teaches the Moral Law is written on all hearts. However, I think a well-formed conscience is necessary to actually commit a real mortal sin. Which doesn’t detract from the fact someone is in error or did a horrible thing, hopefully you see the difference between the 2.

Secondly, on “Taking God’s Name in vain”-

The Hebrew name for God is formed by the Hebrew letters, yud-hay-vav-hay. Some Hebrew scholars pronounce this, “Ya-ho-va” and some “Ya-hoo-va.”

The pop-cultural slip, “Oh my G**!” while irreverent, hardly constitutes a “serious” violation of taking God’s holy name in vain. It’s habitual use, especially by a devout Catholic, might fall into the venial sin category and should be avoided and worked on because it is an irreverence to our Creator.

I asked a priest, one who was considered to be the most orthodox priest in that city, who taught solid philosophy and logic for 35 years at a Catholic University and a seminary, “what constituted taking our Lord’s name in vain?” He said that it was a thought out, decelerated cursing of Almighty God or damning God or damning other’s using God or Jesus’ name or using His name in ritual purposes where he is specifically 'dishonored."

I don’t think that is what you did here.

Mortal sin… venial sin… any sin…

Why don’t we just 1) make it a habit to use God’s name only in prayer

2) OOPS! Slipped up........

3) Refer to step #1

It really is no use trying to rationalize whether or not this is excusable. It is never good to use our Lord’s name in any way outside of prayer… teachccd

Technically the word “God” isn’t His name, so you don’t have to worry all that much. However the word “God” does refer to Him, so try not to use it so much.

:hypno: :shrug: :bigyikes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.