Confession Question!

I just read an article about examining one’s conscience/going to the Sacrament of Confession, and it said that one must confess all mortal sins AND the NUMBER of times committed!

#1 — I don’t know the number of times I have committed this sin, and

#2 — If I were to make an estimation, that would be embarrassing enough!

What do you do if you don’t know the number? Can you just say, "The many times I have . . . "

I really need the help. I’ve been wanting and needing to go to Confession for many many months!!

catholic1,

I know you appreciate straight answers, so here it is: yes you must confess the number of times you have committed a mortal sin, if you can remember.

If you can’t remember an exact number, than an approximation is sufficient, such as “about X times”. If that type of approximation is impossible than “about X times per (day) (week) (month) (year)” is sufficient.

Pray to the Holy Spirit for the courage and strength to go to confession! I will say a prayer for you as well.

God bless you,
VC

Embarrassment is not necessarily a bad thing. It is bad if it keeps you from going to Confession. It is good if it keeps you from committing the sin again after your Confession.

“Too many times to count”

That’s what I use!

God bless!

Dana

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.