Confession question.

Can a non-Roman Catholic go to confession?

~mango~

Generally speaking, no. Orthodox Christians (Greek Orthodox, etc.) could go to confession if their own clergy were not available, but not protestant Christians. Most priests would be willing to talk to you privately and give advice, but they wouldn’t be able to give absolution.

I’m not sure why a non catholic would want to go to confession in the first place if they were not going through RCIA. These candidates are preparing for the sacraments so confession would come in due time.

Being non catholic means you do not adhere or believe in the teachings of the Church. In all sincerity, it doesn’t make sense to me why they would go because that means they believe it is our Lord forgiving them in the confessional yet they may still deny our Lord in the Eucharist and our other sacraments. In that case, why remain a non catholic?

Hope that makes sense. :twocents:

I actually asked this question on the Apologetics board. I entitled it “First and Last Confession” that should give you a little more detail on the subject.

I do know that non-Roman Catholic individuals can receive the Eucharist in very extreme cases. I wonder if this is extended to non-Catholic individuals.

As to why a non-Roman Catholic like myself want to seek confession in a Catholic Church. Well I think that my case might be unique but I do not think that I have the only unique case.

For a long period in my life I was little more than agnostic. I had many homosexual friends I got tired of Bible verses being thrown in their face so I started studding the Bible and combating them.

While studding the Bible to defend homosexuals I found myself starting to read further and believe in the teachings of Jesus – I now know that this was the Holy Spirit guiding me.

Well one night I had a dream of entering Lutheran Church and then leaving it with the congregation following me and entering a Catholic Church.

I know that I am not to join the Catholic Church at this time, that the Holy Spirit wants me to do something from the outside for a while. In turn my hart has been hardened from some things. But, I know that I will at some point I will rejoin with the Catholic Church when my journey is over or beginning, depending on how you look at it…

I realize that it is strange but I know that it is what I am called to do. I really would like to confess in a Catholic Church because even though my hart is hardened I know that I am doing wrong to the Catholic Church.

I really would like to confess in a Catholic Church because even though my hart is hardened I know that I am doing wrong to the Catholic Church.

Confession is not about seeking forgiveness from the Church, it’s about seeking forgiveness from God with the Church’s help. You are not hurting the Church by staying outside of it. However, if you believe that the Church is where you are meant to end up, but will not join it yet, you are hurting yourself and your relationship with God.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]Confession is not about seeking forgiveness from the Church, it’s about seeking forgiveness from God with the Church’s help. You are not hurting the Church by staying outside of it. However, if you believe that the Church is where you are meant to end up, but will not join it yet, you are hurting yourself and your relationship with God.
[/quote]

With the first part you will get no arguement, I was a bit careless with my words. The second part I disagree with to an extent. I do believe that the Holy Spirit is guiding me in the direction that I am going becuase it has given me several signs it is doing such. I wish that I could join the Catholic Church now but unfortunately that is not the course that I am meant to take.

Whether it is me or the God that has hardened my hart I am not sure, but I do know when that wall comes down that it will be the work of the Holy Spirit and not my own and that when that happens it will be time for me to come home.

[quote=Shibboleth]I do believe that the Holy Spirit is guiding me in the direction that I am going becuase it has given me several signs it is doing such. I wish that I could join the Catholic Church now but unfortunately that is not the course that I am meant to take.
[/quote]

Well, I could agree that something is leading you away from the Church, but I don’t believe the Holy Spirit wouild ever lead someone away from the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. You may need additional spiritual direction.

[quote=rfk]You may need additional spiritual direction.
[/quote]

No doubt, but I am not going to ignore the portents that I have been given. I do not know if turning from agnosticism to Lutheran could be considered moving away from the God. Perhaps it is leading back but at a slow pace so that I can bring the slower walking along with me, I do not know, nor is it my place to ask. I don’t expect Catholics or others to understand or condone what I have stated here. If I have to deal with the torment of separation from the Church at this time so be it… I will bear this burden.

I have found solace in the fact that I know that one day I will return, but that time is not now.

I’m truely sorry for you Shibboleth. I can say the last things any of us wants is for us to be seperated brothers and sisters in Christ.
:frowning:

Would you please help me to understand though. I still don’t get it. :confused:

We have now clarified that it is our Lord in the confessional, the priest is acting in persona Christi.
Does one admit and believe this? If not, then why go to confession? It seems to me a person could relieve their conscience by speaking to any one of their friends, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a priest.
But if a person does believe it is the Lord forgiving them, then no matter what wouldn’t a person feel obligated to come into the church? Am I wrong to think that means the denial of our Lord in the church He created? I couldn’t bear to be away from the Lord knowing He created the Catholic Church.

Granted, there may be people such as yourself who need to clear matters up with their current church before committing to the Catholic Church but how can anyone in good conscience put off entering the church for a long period of time?

I have found solace in the fact that I know that one day I will return, but that time is not now.

If you are truly convinced of this then I will pray that you will live long enough to join the Catholic faith. That’s really the thing here–how do you know that you won’t die before you enter the Church? That you won’t be made to stand before the Lord and answer as to why you didn’t join a Church you knew was the One True Church?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.