Confession Question?

If a person confesses a sin, forgets a sin, receives absolution, and then remembers after the fact (somethng that happened years ago), would that person have to confess that sin? I have been told no because when we say, we are sorry for all the sins of our life that it is forgiven. I have been told yes. What does the Cathecism say?

If you honestly forgot to mention a sin in confession, it is a valid confession and the absolution you receive is efficacious. The general advice that I have heard is that if you later remember it, bring it up at your next confession, however it will not impair your ability to receive Holy Communion.

:)

[quote="Carjack1, post:1, topic:181924"]
If a person confesses a sin, forgets a sin, receives absolution, and then remembers after the fact (somethng that happened years ago), would that person have to confess that sin? I have been told no because when we say, we are sorry for all the sins of our life that it is forgiven. I have been told yes. What does the Cathecism say?

[/quote]

Okay....let's get clear. Do you mean...

If a person goes to CONFESSION, forgets a sin, receives absolution and then remembers after the fact....would that person have to confess that sin?

I would just mention it in my next confession, but wouldn't go to confession just to confess that one sin that I honestly forgot.

I found this in the Catechism, 1456

When Christ's faithful strive to confess all the sins that they can remember, they undoubtedly place all of them before the divine mercy for pardon. But those who fail to do so and knowingly withhold some, place nothing before the divine goodness for remission through the mediation of the priest, "for if the sick person is too ashamed to show his wound to the doctor, the medicine cannot heal what it does not know."

So your sin has been forgiven if you honestly did not try to withhold it. When God forgives, he forgives. BUT it is a good pious practice to still confess the sin at your next confession, though it should not keep you from communion. The sin is forgiven. That's how I read it.

"When God forgives, he forgives. BUT it is a good pious practice to still confess the sin at your next confession, though it should not keep you from communion. The sin is forgiven."

This is good advice, but it falls short on one point. It is not merely a "good pious practice" to confess the sin at the next confession. It is absolutely required that one do so (assuming you have not forgotten it again by then!).

Fr. Heribert Jone's standard Moral Theology, used by confessors for decades, says:

"Forgotten or lawfully omitted sins must be mentioned in the subsequent Confession. One need not on this account confess sooner, and one may communicate in the meantime if no other obstacle presents itself."

[quote="Carjack1, post:1, topic:181924"]

[/quote]

Since the person did not intentionally hide a mortal sin --all other things being equal it is absolved ...included in the all sins of life...

If it was a Mortal sin --it is required to be confessed the next confession after you remember it (or when you realize it you need to if you did not know). or if forgetton agian --when remembered ;)

If venial -- nope.

if doubtful "sin" either doubtful "mortal" or doubtful at all ...nope.

if one is lax - and it is a doubtful 'mortal' sin -- it can be good to mention it.

if one is scrupulous -- and it is doubtful --it is advised not to.

only if it was mortal --see other post

Dear Bookcat,

You are right on all counts.

I had just assumed we were talking about a mortal sin, but I see on reading the other posts that that was not made clear earlier.

Your clarifications were most helpful to all readers.

thank you --have a wonderful day of the Lord

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.