confession question

If I confess a sin and someone asks me if I did that particular sin, and i said no would i be lying, or would it be the truth since I’ve confessed it?

Yes that would be lying. scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a8.htm#III

But one is not obliged to give such answers usually --form just ordinary people.

One can find ways to avoid the question…or use discreet language or even a moral form of mental reservation.

2488 The right to the communication of the truth is not unconditional. Everyone must conform his life to the Gospel precept of fraternal love. This requires us in concrete situations to judge whether or not it is appropriate to reveal the truth to someone who asks for it.

2489 Charity and respect for the truth should dictate the response to every request for information or communication. The good and safety of others, respect for privacy, and the common good are sufficient reasons for being silent about what ought not be known or for making use of a discreet language. The duty to avoid scandal often commands strict discretion. No one is bound to reveal the truth to someone who does not have the right to know it.283

Tell that person to mind his/her own business. Your sins are between you and your confessor, and God. No one else.

Right on! :thumbsup:

Always the truth…

It would be, since at some point you did commit that sin. However you do not need to lie.

From the Catechism:

2488 The right to the communication of the truth is not unconditional. …] This requires us in concrete situations to judge whether or not it is appropriate to reveal the truth to someone who asks for it.

2489 Charity and respect for the truth should dictate the response to every request for information or communication. …] No one is bound to reveal the truth to someone who does not have the right to know it.

I’m just repeating what others have said. Yes it would be a lie because the sin did actually happen, even though you have received absolution and forgiveness for it.

However, you are not obliged to answer any question you do not want to answer in the general run of things.

Try:

None of your danged business, and, if you weren’t my friend, I wouldn’t tell you that much.

or

If you will forgive me for not answering that question, I will forgive you for asking it.

Lol :slight_smile:

Thank you all for responding.

Eh, not really. Come the general judgment ever sin that every person ever committed is going to be made public in front of everyone. I hope we’re not actually going to have to see every sin people committed. :eek: Bleh!

Ooh, you could tell the person they’ll find out during the General Judgment and until then you prefer to keep your sins private.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.