Confession question

Do you have to say "bless me father, for I have sinned" when you go to Confession?

No.

That is one way one may begin.....

ewtn.com/library/BISHOPS/GUIDEPEN.HTM

It says it’s proper to indicate whether you’re married, single, or clergy. Is this required? I have never heard of this before.

It helps to give the priest as much info as you can so he can guide you.
He may give different advice to a married man than he would a single man for instance. It also helps the priest put things into context to know your state in life . . . .

No, there are probably other ways. If you're going face to face it's obvious you're there and are going to say something. But if you are going behind a screen, it's kind of an "opener" so the priest knows you're there.

[quote="Zenkai, post:4, topic:322331"]
It says it's proper to indicate whether you're married, single, or clergy. Is this required? I have never heard of this before.

[/quote]

One should do that.

If for example one confesses say something contrary to chastity (lustful thoughts) --the fact that one is married is an important part of the confession.

Here is another way:

After the customary greetings, the penitent crosses himself:

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

(that is the one I say)

catholicnewsagency.com/resources/sacraments/reconciliation/rite-of-confession/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.