Confession Question

Now, I know if a priest were to hear a confession from a murderer, they would not be allowed to tell the police the identity of the murderer. My question is, are there any circumstances in which a priest is allowed to contact the authorities about a confession? Such as, if a child were to tell a priest that he is being abused at home, would the priest be able to tell anyone? I know that he would be allowed to tell the child to tell another adult that they trusted, but if the child was unwilling to do so, would the priest be able to do anything?

[quote="puprock97, post:1, topic:323784"]
Now, I know if a priest were to hear a confession from a murderer, they would not be allowed to tell the police the identity of the murderer. My question is, are there any circumstances in which a priest is allowed to contact the authorities about a confession? Such as, if a child were to tell a priest that he is being abused at home, would the priest be able to tell anyone? I know that he would be allowed to tell the child to tell another adult that they trusted, but if the child was unwilling to do so, would the priest be able to do anything?

[/quote]

The seal of confession is absolute. The priest may not under any circumstances divulge anything he has learned in confession, nor may he act upon any information he has received. To do so would result in an excommunication that can only be lifted by the Roman Pontiff.

-ACEGC

Theoretically, the priest could advise the child (while in the confessional) to tell him about what was going on after confession was over. :)

. My question is, are there any circumstances in which a priest is allowed to contact the authorities about a confession?

[/quote]

No.

.Such as, if a child were to tell a priest that he is being abused at home, would the priest be able to tell anyone?

[/quote]

No. Not if told this in confession.

Of course, the priest could encourage the child to tell him or another adult about the abuse outside the confessional.

. I know that he would be allowed to tell the child to tell another adult that they trusted, but if the child was unwilling to do so, would the priest be able to do anything?

[/quote]

No.

[quote="edward_george, post:2, topic:323784"]
The seal of confession is absolute. The priest may not under any circumstances divulge anything he has learned in confession, nor may he act upon any information he has received. To do so would result in an excommunication that can only be lifted by the Roman Pontiff.

-ACEGC

[/quote]

This. Simple as that.

All the best

Martin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.