confession question

HI, we have to confess the species of the sin we confess right? I’ve read how this would apply to lust for instance but how about to faith for example? would you have to say, “ive believed in heresy” or “ive committed apostasy”? since wouldn’t heresy or apostasy be the species of the act and the genus is a sin against faith? or would it have to be more specific like “ive believed in Pentecostal heresies” or “ive apostatized to the muslim religion”?

thinkthaughts

For mortal sins we have to confess “number and kind (species)” and that which changes the kind (like I stole a chalice from Church -thus also sacrilege). But not “unnecessary detail”. I accuse myself of murder of my brother, fornication 2x, missing Mass 5x …The Priest can assist you. (Heresy and Apostasy are different species…though one may involve the other). (remember too that a person may do X in “good faith” -in say some invincible ignorance…seeing the good in it or mistaking what is not fully true with what is…and not realizing the error etc. One must look at what the matter is (what constitutes the sin say of heresy) as well as what the person did with the needed knowledge and consent…and if such was lacking or in doubt -one would mention such -not simply “accuse oneself of such and such”)

Catechism:

Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him.”

scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

Was I guilty of sin for growing up as a non-Catholic Christian? No. I was a young Christian who yes did not understand and know the fullness -but the Church would say I was guilty of say heresy or schism etc…I was a separated brother…later I saw the fullness -and entered into full Communion with the Catholic Church.

so would you have to say to what extent x is heresy or what not? so would saying “ive believed in Anglican beliefs” changed the species from saying “ive believed in evangelical beliefs”?

this might also help me since I used to be non-Catholic and did some things I forgot to confess in my first confession (which was a long time ago) but am just now remembering having done. although I can’t remember whether or not I knew the Catholic Church taught these things were sins and to what extent I had full knowledge of the sins, and regardless I wasn’t convinced of the church or hardly cared if I did so maybe I should confess these things? of course I might just be overthinking all of this.

thinkthaughts

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.