confession question

Hi, I’m a fairly new Catholic and I’m confused about something. A Catholic friend told me that if I have a sin that I need to confess God will not hear me or answer my prayers until I’ve gone to confession even if I’ve confessed it to him.

My understanding was that I would need to get to confession as soon as possible, but once I asked his forgiveness he would hear my prayers. I’m really confused.

Thanks

God always hears your prayers, no matter what. Don’t doubt that. You’re friend is wrong. Yes, you may need to go to confession, but God wants you to pray, ask forgiveness, and ask Him for help and assistance.

God always hears your prayers, and he’ll still give you graces, too, even if you’ve committed a mortal sin. If he didn’t, then, we would never be able to repent from our sins.

Even if you’ve committed a mortal sin, God will forgive your sins if you’re sorry because you love him and if you intend to go to confession when possible.

From The Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.

The objective of being in a Catholic is to have a deep and close relationship with God. (Spiritual writers call this the interior life.) What sin does however, is spoil the relationship.

From my Baltimore Catechism:

Q. 476. Is grace necessary to salvation?
A. Grace is necessary to salvation, because without grace we can do nothing to merit heaven.

Q. 477. Can we resist the grace of God?
A. We can, and unfortunately often do, resist the grace of God.

Q. 478. Is it a sin knowingly to resist the grace of God?
A. It is a sin, knowingly, to resist the grace of God, because we thereby insult Him and reject His gifts without which we cannot be saved.

Q. 479. Does God give His grace to every one?
A. God gives to everyone He creates sufficient grace to save his soul; and if persons do not save their souls, it is because they have not used the grace given.

Q. 480. What is the grace of perseverance?
A. The grace of perseverance is a particular gift of God which enables us to continue in the state of grace till death.

Q. 481. Can we merit the grace of final perseverance or know when we possess it?
A. We cannot merit the grace of final perseverance, or know when we possess it, because it depends entirely upon God’s mercy and not upon our actions. To imagine we possess it would lead us into the sin of presumption.

Q.** 482. Can a person merit any supernatural reward for good deeds performed while he is in mortal sin?
A. A person cannot merit any supernatural reward for good deeds performed while he is in mortal sin; nevertheless, God rewards such good deeds by giving the grace of repentance; and, therefore, all persons, even those in mortal sin, should ever strive to do good.**

Q. 483. Does God reward anything but our good works?
A. God rewards our good intention and desire to serve Him, even when our works are not successful. We should make this good intention often during the day, and especially in the morning.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.