Confession Questions

Hello to all!

I am due for my First Confession soon. I'm both excited and nervous at the same time!

I was baptized 16 years ago, so I'm sure you can imagine that there's quite a lot of sin in my past. I know that you're supposed to say the type of sin and the number of times that you've committed it - but what about if you have never had the mind to keep track of the number of times you committed a certain sin?

Also, how specific must we be with our sins? For example, is there a need to differentiate between confessing sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex and sexual acts with a member of the same sex?

Sorry if some of this is too much information - just thought I'd ask! Thank you so much for your time!

I'm a priest who hears lots of confessions. We have to confess grave sins according to "circumstances," that is, those which affect the nature of the sin. Stealing is also sacrilege if the thief steals the altar cross, for example.

Some sins against chastity are also contrary to nature: for example, homosexual acts or contraceptive practices. Yes, these should be specified in confession.

If you don't remember how often you committed certain grave sins, give the confessor an idea (more or less how frequently over what period of time).

God bless

Hello iseekanswers

Welcome, in advance, to the "one true fold of the Redeemer". I'm a convert myself, from Anglicanism, but my grandfather was a baptist minister, so I feel a sense of solidarity with you.

If you have an iphone, there's an app called mea culpa which guides you through the whole of confession. I used it for the first time last week and found that, with God's grace, it helped me to make a very complete and honest confession.

The sacrament of penance is not easy, in my experience, but the graces that flow from it are immense. Our Lord bless you.

P.S. I am open to charitable correction from any brother or sister on the reliability of the 'mea culpa' app.

[quote="romanus, post:2, topic:302976"]
I'm a priest who hears lots of confessions. We have to confess grave sins according to "circumstances," that is, those which affect the nature of the sin. Stealing is also sacrilege if the thief steals the altar cross, for example.

Some sins against chastity are also contrary to nature: for example, homosexual acts or contraceptive practices. Yes, these should be specified in confession.

If you don't remember how often you committed certain grave sins, give the confessor an idea (more or less how frequently over what period of time).

God bless

[/quote]

Please, please, let this question be finished by this response from a Priest!

Thankyou, Father

if one is obsessed with keeping track of their countless sins, one can spend one's whole life doing nothing better than that!

the more you dwell on your sins, the more likely you are to commit grave sins.......

one must be repentant and forgive his enemies in order to be forgiven by God...

there is no command or demand from Jesus Christ that one must confess to a priest only...........

if we can pray directly to God without any intermediary, there is absolutely no necessity for any intermediary, to be forgiven by God.....

i must add that the clergy take advantage of the confessional seal or whatever, and commit sins like scarlet and are well protected or covered-up by their bishops and popes..............one german archbishop is notorious for such despicable action some 10 to 20 years back!

When you make your first confession ask the priest about this. He is there to help you come closer to God, not chase you away. Be honest. And remember - he's not allowed to say anything he hears in confession to anyone, not your family, not your friends and acquaintences, and not the police.
:):):)

good luck and welcome to the Catholic Church

[quote="wisedom, post:5, topic:302976"]
if one is obsessed with keeping track of their countless sins, one can spend one's whole life doing nothing better than that!

the more you dwell on your sins, the more likely you are to commit grave sins.......

one must be repentant and forgive his enemies in order to be forgiven by God...

there is no command or demand from Jesus Christ that one must confess to a priest only...........

if we can pray directly to God without any intermediary, there is absolutely no necessity for any intermediary, to be forgiven by God.....

i must add that the clergy take advantage of the confessional seal or whatever, and commit sins like scarlet and are well protected or covered-up by their bishops and popes..............one german archbishop is notorious for such despicable action some 10 to 20 years back!

[/quote]

Wisedom,

Your input is appreciated and welcome, but please take some time to deeply study both scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church before making assumptions that come from emotion rather than reason based upon our belief.

[quote="iseekanswers, post:1, topic:302976"]
Hello to all!

I am due for my First Confession soon. I'm both excited and nervous at the same time!
;)

I was baptized 16 years ago, so I'm sure you can imagine that there's quite a lot of sin in my past. I know that you're supposed to say the type of sin and the number of times that you've committed it - but what about if you have never had the mind to keep track of the number of times you committed a certain sin?
see below

Also, how specific must we be with our sins? For example, is there a need to differentiate between confessing sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex and sexual acts with a member of the same sex?
Yes one does...

Sorry if some of this is too much information - just thought I'd ask! Thank you so much for your time!

[/quote]

One is obliged to confess all mortal sins in number and kind (and circumstance that changes the kind -- like it was your brother you murdered! or the gold cup you stole was from the Church (hence sacrilege))

Venial sins are recommended to be confessed. They can also be forgiven in many other ways.

(Now I will note that those out there who are scrupulous ....they need to a regular confessor and not scruple about confession...)

Of course after a good examination we may not ..after so many years...remember everything..that is ok...we do what we can..God forgives the forgotten ones too (we need of course to be sorry for all our mortal sins...and amended)...then if we later remember one we forgot..we are to confess it in the next confession after we remember it. (this is different from if we intentionally hide a mortal sin..that is a sacrilege and one is not forgiven but has another sin)

If something is doubtful one notes it is doubtful in some way. While one is not strictly obliged to confess doubtful mortal sins -- it is normally recommended to (though those with scruples may be recommended not to).

Also we may not know the numbers ...we do what can ....and if we do not know..we make an approximation according to our knowledge from our examinination ...3-5x, 5-10 a month for the last 20 years, somewhere around 50 times, around 10x, or it was several times definately more than 10 ....it may be that one has to say: "a few times", "several times" "many times" "many many times" etc

Of course one needs contrition and a firm purpose of amendment.

Here from the Catechism:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm#VII

Here is a guide sold by Catholic Answers: shop.catholic.com/product.php?productid=137&cat=25&page=1

From Jimmy Akin of Catholic Answers:

jimmyakin.com/2007/03/specific_confes.html

I too came into full communion with the Catholic Church ....I love confession ...tis a wonderful gift.

Jesus is the Good Shepherd ..he loves you and desires to give you* true life*.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.