Confession Questions

1. I have heard that if you forget to confess a mortal sin, you are supposed to confess it at your next Confession. What if there are venial sins you forget to confess, however? Are you obligated to confess them at your next Confession or is your Confession not valid? I forgot to confess some swearing and inappropriate language/joking around with friends. I would say that these sins probably were venial.

2. What if there is a mortal sin that you cannot remember if you have confessed? I have some sins in that past that I cannot remember if I have confessed. I am positive that I have confessed things very similar in nature to them if I have not confessed these specific sins (I know that I have confessed the similar sins because I have gone to confession for them many times; for whatever reason, this other particular thing just didn't stand out as much in my mind at those confessions). These sins were a while back, and although I have been to Confession many times since them, I cannot remember if confessed the exact acts. I'm not sure if I'm just being scrupulous or if this is something legitimate.

3. If you have committed many of the same mortal sins over and over in the past, is there ever a point at which you cannot be forgiven?

Thanks!

[quote="catholic406, post:1, topic:314441"]
1. I have heard that if you forget to confess a mortal sin, you are supposed to confess it at your next Confession.

One who was seeking to confess all their mortal sins and is contrite etc for them all --but just forgot one --yes it needs to be confessed in the next confession (unless it is not something one never realizes one forgot)

What if there are venial sins you forget to confess, however? Are you obligated to confess them at your next Confession or is your Confession not valid?
Venial sins never need to be confessed per se. So a forgotten one need not be confessed.

I forgot to confess some swearing and inappropriate language/joking around with friends. I would say that these sins probably were venial.If only venial one does not need to confess it. Though confession of venial sins is recommended --though one need not try to say em all....

1. What if there is a mortal sin that you cannot remember if you have confessed? I have some sins in that past that I cannot remember if I have confessed. I am positive that I have confessed things very similar in nature to them if I have not confessed these specific sins (I know that I have confessed the similar sins because I have gone to confession for them many times; for whatever reason, this other particular thing just didn't stand out as much in my mind at those confessions). These sins were a while back, and although I have been to Confession many times since them, I cannot remember if confessed the exact acts. I'm not sure if I'm just being scrupulous or if this is something legitimate. Just confess them ....Bring them to confession.

As to scruples --if anyone ends up struggling with scruples -- one would get a regular confessor and he can direct one. And if the question of mortal sins from the past comes up...often in such cases the direction may be something along the lines of "only confess past sins if one is 1. certain *they are mortal and 2. *certain they were not confessed rightly. --that is what the confessor of the person with scruples might tell them... The confessor can no what to direct his penitent who has scruples...they can be in a "different boat" in various things than others.

1. If you have committed many of the same mortal sins over and over in the past, is there ever a point at which you cannot be forgiven? No...the Church can forgive all sins ..unless of course one refuses to repent....etc

Thanks!

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.