Confession Questions

Hi all. I just returned from confession, my first in six years, I'm very happy to have gone but during it I was extremely nervous. I feel like I left things out, and I wasn't sorry enough to be forgiven. The nervousness overtook me and I was worried more about getting through it than being remorseful. I sure was remorseful going in but one I knelt it was just uneasiness. I also feel like God hasn't forgiven me. Can someone give me some guidance here?

In Christ.

Tom

Congratulations on your return to the sacrament of Reconciliation!

Just a couple of quick thoughts: Contrition is not the same thing is remorse, and contrition is what is necessary for the sacrament Even if you don't "feel" forgiven, you can know that you are forgiven. Don't beat yourself up that your feelings aren't as strong as you like. Thankfully, God's action isn't dependent upon our feelings.

I second what babochka wrote.

You need to have faith and trust in the sacraments that Christ created. It is not about our feelings, it is about faith.

And keep going to confession more regularly.

You can go back and confess to more if you think you didn't remember or commit yourself properly. Be frank with the priest. I always tell them what is going on with my conscience, trying to make it more alert on the one hand, and less false on the other.

I think that remorse is demonstrated by the fact that you were there. As far as forgiveness goes, here's what Pope Francis had to say about it in his homily last Sunday:
asianews.it/news-en/Pope-Francis-as-parish-priest-at-Sant'Anna:-the-Lord-never-gets-tired-of-forgiving-27416.html

The Lord never gets tired of forgiving us. Never! It is we who get tired of asking for forgiveness. Let us ask for the grace of never tiring to ask for forgiveness because He never gets tired of forgiving. Let us ask for this grace!"

I think of purgatory now as some kind of a cleansing room, ever since my friend said it was like being called into the Master's mansion but because you have dirt on your shoes and clothes from working outside in the garden you need to go somewhere to clean up..

Previous to that I thought of it as a waiting room like in the play "Lilliom" or the musical "Carousel", where you have to somehow redeem yourself before you move forward to heaven, SO you clean up the messes you left behind on earth.

If one forgets a mortal sin -- such happens -- and if it is remembered it is to be confessed in the next confession.

Venial sins need not be confessed (but is recommended to confess at least some) --so if one forgets such one never need to mention them.

As to contrition --such is more of the will. The feelings can help but are NOT necessary.

[quote="MrTambourineMan, post:1, topic:319193"]
Hi all. I just returned from confession, my first in six years, I'm very happy to have gone but during it I was extremely nervous. I feel like I left things out, and I wasn't sorry enough to be forgiven. The nervousness overtook me and I was worried more about getting through it than being remorseful. I sure was remorseful going in but one I knelt it was just uneasiness. I also feel like God hasn't forgiven me. Can someone give me some guidance here?

In Christ.

Tom

[/quote]

I'm sure you had enough contrition, don't worry about it. If you really forgot stuff, don't worry about that either this particular confession is still valid. You will have to confess as you remember stuff, but stuff that is really forgotten at the time does not invalidate a particular confession.

Congratulations Tom, I had a gap as long as my first reconciliation to when I was in my 30s. The sacrament wasn't well demonstrated in my home, and to be honest I had little interest in it of my own volition. I know what it's like to have a long wait between confessions. (For the record, I go much more frequently and desire to go every week if possible).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.