Confession Story

So I decided to go to (a much needed) confession before returning to college, and for the first time in a while there was a girl there my age! Who would have thought?
Not only that, but when I walked out of the confessional, there was another young man my age waiting for his turn!

Just thought I'd share-It was nice to see some young faces, especially when the majority of people there were at least 3 times our age.

:thumbsup:It is always rewarding to confess and receive the grace before returning to face what you have to. good for you
My personal opinion is our priests are spending way too much attention to the oldsters. But then if they are the only ones going. I am not young but I have waited to confess before some of them, bless their souls but some chew out the priest, I can't help hearing them, tell the priest how to talk to their son or daughter, I want this or that etc.
One woman said I haven't sinned much but let me tell you about my husband.

Keep going and maybe more will take your example.:)

So, was the girl cute? ;)

That's really cool. I'm excited to hear that more people my (our) age are going. Usually when I go to confession, I'm like the youngest person by like forty years. :thumbsup:

[quote="baltobetsy, post:3, topic:183222"]
So, was the girl cute? ;)

[/quote]

haha. Actually, yes. I would have talked to her if I hadn't been in a hurry!
Hopefully I'll run into her next time I'm home. People my age who take their faith seriously are usually hard to find. :shrug:

I see young kids taken there by their parents or grandparents, then people over sixty-five.
I almost never, ever, ever see anyone between teenager and retired (which is where I fit in).

I've been back in the Church for going on five years now, and I can count on one hand the times that confession has even been mentioned, (just mentioned), much less encouraged.
I can't imagine why people don't go.

I thought one of our church's approaches to Confession was pretty neat. The sacrament was readily available upon request, and was easily requested, with priests readily available and open to hearing confessions, etc. Then, for Holy Week, at least one priest was available after every Liturgy to hear confessions, all week long. The schedule was announced from the altar, printed in the bulletin, and - get this - mailed directly to our homes! It really was like receiving an engraved invitation to the sacrament :)! And it was quite natural for people of all ages to seek absolution and forgiveness. Maybe sending invitations really is the way to go :) ?

[quote="gloria97000, post:7, topic:183222"]
I thought one of our church's approaches to Confession was pretty neat. The sacrament was readily available upon request, and was easily requested, with priests readily available and open to hearing confessions, etc. Then, for Holy Week, at least one priest was available after every Liturgy to hear confessions, all week long. The schedule was announced from the altar, printed in the bulletin, and - get this - mailed directly to our homes! It really was like receiving an engraved invitation to the sacrament :)! And it was quite natural for people of all ages to seek absolution and forgiveness. Maybe sending invitations really is the way to go :) ?

[/quote]

I think that any opportunity that is announced is a good thing. Most people that I know will not even think about penance unless it's announced. The great thing in my area is that one of the churches holds it every day of the week! I realized that every parish is not capable of this, but it would be nice to see a stronger effort in placing confession back on people's front burners.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.