Confession temporary alternative? possible

is this okay? when i cant get to confession i do a confession as if God was sitting in front of me, i do the whole thing and imagine his response, knowing past pennance even add a few Holy Mary’s… and then i still go to Communion… is this okay, what if it is an emergency… or is there anything else i can say or do so can still go to Communion? what if i just take Body and not the Blood??

See this link - forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=61780

It quotes the answers from the CCC.

Regarding receiving our Lord’s Body versus just his Blood, there is no difference. One fully receives Christ entirely under one form. His Body is not “better” than His Blood. His Blood requires a clean person to receive as much as His Body.

thanks nicolep, very interesting reading, thanks !!

You’re welcome!

…is this okay…?

Again, are you talking about mortal sins which meeting all three requirements?

catholicparents.org/oxcart/Examination%20of%20Conscience.pdf

Why can’t you get to Reconciliation?

No it is not okay. If you have MORTAL SINS (venial sins do not need to be confessed…though it is good to do…and one can go to Communion…venial sins can be forgiven various ways…including at communion)

Yes pray to God and ask forgiveness…certainly. But do not go to Communion. (And I would not do the imaginary confession thing…just make an act of contrition)

One needs to go to Sacramental Confession to a Catholic Priest.

One is not to receive Holy Communion in any form until then.

(there are possible exceptions…but such is not the norm)

It’s not OK for mortal sins. If they are venial, there’s no harm in receiving Holy Communion without having gone to formal confession, but I would still confess those venial sins at the first opportunity.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1385 To respond to this invitation we must prepare ourselves for so great and so holy a moment. St. Paul urges us to examine our conscience: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself."218 Anyone conscious of a grave sin must receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before coming to communion.

(grave sin =mortal sin)

There is no obligation to receive communion at Mass so what is the emergency? I know people who have gone to Mass for a long time without receiving because of particular reasons. It would be better to not receive than to receive in the ste of sin and commit a sacrilige.

barbkw work or get fired

I’m self employed.

Get to Reconciliation, or get fired. :wink:

You can call your parish office and explain you need to schedule a time for confession ASAP.

I had a situation that I needed to get to confession. I could not get to the scheduled time because of work. Waiting until the next available one wasn’t going to work. I called and the person on the phone told me, “These are our scheduled times.” I said I couldn’t get there because of work and waiting a week wasn’t acceptable. Her response, “You can go to another parish.” So, I finally said, “I need to see my parish priest as soon as reasonably possible for confession. Please either arrange that or let me have Father’s voice mail.” I got a call back within 30 minutes and confession the next day.

I only tell you that because I don’t want you to call and he discouraged by what the secretary might say. Be firm, but nice with the person answering the phone. As long as the priest gets the correct information, he’ll schedule an acceptable time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.