Confession to a priest.

Does anyone anyone have quotes from the early church on confession to a priest.

Yes!

(John 20:19-23)

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. [Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,m “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

I ask you – how can a man forgive sins (in obedience to Jesus’ command) if he doesn’t know the sins that are to be forgiven? How can a man know the sins that are to be forgiven if they’re aren’t told to him? How can a man know the sins that are told to him unless a Christian confesses his sins to him (that is, to a priest)?

QED. :wink:

Well how early do you want to go?
I would round about the very begin-
ning of it all: “Jesus therefore said to them again, Peace be unto you: as the Father has sent me, even
so I am sending you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them,
Receive the Holy Spirit: whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whose sins
you retain, they are retained.”

But going back now to John 20, clearly while confessing our wrongs to anyone is good,
there are only certain people with the authority to forgive/absolve and retain sins. Shall
we believe that authority given by Jesus to the Apostles died with the Apostles? That’s
about as much as I know concerning the history of confession to a priest.

Bella Online: Confession
StayCatholic: Confession
Church Fathers.org confession

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.