Confession to an SSPX bishop

I know that SSPX priests are not able to hear confession because they lack the faculties to do so. But, a bishop, whether it is licit or not, has the universal ability to validly administer all seven sacraments. My question is: Would you incur mortal sin if you confessed to an SSPX bishop?

Thank you for answering my question. :blessyou:

Just go to a priest with faculties and you don't have to worry about the answer to this question. ;)

To consider SSPX for any reason, other than to pray for their return to obedience, risks placing yourself under the influence of the spirit of disobedience which lead them into schism. Unless you are an exorcist, why would you expose yourself to the influence of such a worldly spirit?

As far as I know, if you are unaware that your confessor is an SSPX priest, then Holy Mother Church through Charity grants that you have been absolved. If you are aware then, again as far as I understand, there is no absolution.

Can. 967 §1. In addition to the Roman Pontiff, cardinals have the faculty of hearing the confessions of the Christian faithful everywhere in the world by the law itself. Bishops likewise have this faculty and use it licitly everywhere unless the diocesan bishop has denied it in a particular case.

I believe Brother Jay discussed this very issue, as well as the other sacraments, in great detail in one of the SSPX threads. If memory serves me correct, confession to a SSPX bishop (and thus SSPX priest) is illicit and invalid due to the jurisdiction issue. The only time it would be valid is in the case of emergency.

An excommunicated bishop would obviously be denied the use of this facility. While the SSPX bishops are no longer excommunicated, I don't believe this facility has been granted to them given their current status with the Church.

[quote="TheWarriorMonk, post:6, topic:329495"]
I believe Brother Jay discussed this very issue, as well as the other sacraments, in great detail in one of the SSPX threads. If memory serves me correct, confession to a SSPX bishop (and thus SSPX priest) is illicit and invalid due to the jurisdiction issue. The only time it would be valid is in the case of emergency.

An excommunicated bishop would obviously be denied the use of this facility. While the SSPX bishops are no longer excommunicated, I don't believe this facility has been granted to them given their current status with the Church.

[/quote]

I thought a bishop, whether he has permission to do so or not, has the power to absolve validly, even if it is illicit?

I know this is different with priests, where if they are denied the faculty, their absolution is invalid.

[quote="bben15, post:7, topic:329495"]
I thought a bishop, whether he has permission to do so or not, has the power to absolve validly, even if it is illicit?

[/quote]

The sacrament of Reconciliation is different from other sacraments in this regard. It appears if the bishop were also a Cardinal this would be true, but not otherwise.

I know this is different with priests, where if they are denied the faculty, their absolution is invalid.

There have been examples on this forum where bishops need permission to absolve in order for the absolution to be valid. If I remember correctly, the involved large conventions in certain dioceses where the diocesan bishops has specifically excluded faculty without permission.

As the canon says, the SSPX Bishop would have to also be a cardinal. But, unfortunately that won't be happening soon (or maybe if there's a miracle) because obviously the SSPX is in a canonically irregular status; so their Bishops won't be elevated. Pray for the Society every day ~ for their reconciliation, for their priests, for their bishops, for their faithful, for their people, and for their holiness.

:signofcross:
:signofcross: :signofcross: :signofcross:

[quote="bben15, post:7, topic:329495"]

[/quote]

But, for instance if one's confessor was a member of the Society of St. Pius X, thereby lacking faculties for a valid absolution; but, the faithful person didn't know that he was of the SSPX --- Holy Mother Church out of charity cleans away that persons' sins. I believe this is from the Council of Trent on Confession by desire.

[quote="holyfamily1, post:10, topic:329495"]
But, for instance if one's confessor was a member of the Society of St. Pius X, thereby lacking faculties for a valid absolution; but, the faithful person didn't know that he was of the SSPX --- Holy Mother Church out of charity cleans away that persons' sins. I believe this is from the Council of Trent on Confession by desire.

[/quote]

What would be the chance of someone not knowing the priest was an SSPX priest. It would be unlikely for such a priest to be hearing Confessions at anyplace other than where the SSPX are.

Being suspended ad divinis pretty much renders Can. 967 moot.

Yes I thought this to be so; fortunately you have quoted a source (or at least one source and a very good one at that).

[quote="thistle, post:11, topic:329495"]
What would be the chance of someone not knowing the priest was an SSPX priest. It would be unlikely for such a priest to be hearing Confessions at anyplace other than where the SSPX are.

[/quote]

"Don't Ask - Don't Tell" is a horrible way to try to get to heaven. :D

Aren't there all of something like three SSPX bishops left anyway?

-Tim-

Of a peak of 5, only one of whom was licitly ordained.

One died, one was expelled [edited].

I just realised the title thread is about SSPX bishops. However, that does not matter because none of the SSPX priests have the faculty to hear Confession.

This is a non-answer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.