Confession violating christ

hello i was wondering isnt confession violating christ because the priest acts as a mediator between you and christ but you dont need a mediator and a preist jobs is to guide you and pasotr you etc you could just tell jesus for he is the only one who can forgives sins just because someone on earth says the absolved doesnt mean that it is ?

can anyone clear this up for me i dont understand ? ?

Jesus gave the disciples the authority to forgive sins, so He is probably okay with confession. Pray and meditate on John 20:21-23

Chuck, did anyone ever ask you to pray for them or someone they know?

If so, they were asking you to be a mediator. Did you tell them you won’t pray for them because they don’t need a mediator?

As for the power of absolution, not only did Christ give his apostles the power to absolve, but also when you confess, the priest is hearing your confession in persona Christi. That is, you confess to the priest, but Christ hears your confession and as the priest pronounces the words of absolution, Christ absolves you.

What is a Roman Catholic Baptist?

he probably in between like hes thinking of becoming catholic but still claims too be baptist or he has some catholic beliefs and some baptist (my good friend who is like my a brother too me is like that) God bless

You may want to take a look at this link from Catholic Answers where you can get a lot information.

John 20:21-23 (Douay-Rheims Translation)

[21] He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. [22] When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. [23] Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

Jesus gives the Apostles and their successors the power by the Holy Spirit to forgive sins. It is the Holy Spirit that is forgiving us when we go to Confession. The Holy Spirit is acting through the Priest or Bishop, just as it did with the Apostles, the first Bishops, in Scripture.

The priest isn’t a mediator. He is acting in behalf of Christ and the Church. A mediator acts in between, not in behalf.

Christ said He was the only mediator between Him and the Father. Christ did not say there would be no mediators between us and Him. If there are no mediators bettween us and Christ then we better stop reading our Bibles since the Scripture writers are acting as mediators between us and Christ. :thumbsup:

The Priest does not forgive you of your sins. Father Corapi said they as Priests are unable to forgive you. However, they have been given the power to confess your sins through persona Christi. Meaning they are the mediator. They are speaking on behalf of Jesus. When one goes to Confession, they shouldn’t be thinking “I’m going to confess to a Priest”. They should be thinking “I’m going to confess to God through a Priest”.

Hi Chuck,
How could it “violate Christ” when it was established by Him in the Gospel?
I have some articles on my blog that may help you better understand this.

[LIST]
*]Catholic Confession
*]“I Find No Sacraments In the Bible” he said.
*]Scriptures About Penance
[/LIST]

@ country Steve - yes I go to a baptist church and am going to be baptised at the church on october 2 and nearly at the en of the couse but now I’m it sure cuz I thinking o converting to the catholic church so I dunno what to do and couldnt leave my church becuase I’ve been there for ages and like a second family and become a member after baptism so now I’m all confused .

This is a time of discernment for you. If you are not sure - don’t do it. Right now you can still start an RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) and jump in. These classes are 1-2 years long and geared towards adults entering the Catholic Church who have received none or almost none of their Sacraments. I would suggest that you go to RCIA and check it out. If you decide you do not want to enter the Catholic Church after this discernment you can always go back. But you only get one Baptism in the Catholic Church so if there is a chance that you may want it to be Catholic you should discern that now.

That is no reason to remain in a faith community that is going to ask you to unscripturally be rebaptized in an non-sacramental way.

You only see rebaptism once in the New Testament, and that is for those who only received John’s pre-Christian baptism and you don’t qualify there…no one does today, my friend.

What does the Nicene Creed tell us that the early church believed and preached?
“I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins”

Yes. Very important point, and one that has been poorly expounded upon by most of the “Surprised by Truth” type testimonial apologetics, which focus more on the terminology of “subordinate mediation” which is a nice term but doesn’t explain it in easy to understand terms as you do above.

Kudos.

this might sound blunt so forgive me but do you agree that we are supposed to put God above all things right? even are own feelings and desires and joys God bless

:

To me, the first ones that were told by JESUS, were the Aposolates were they told ,what sins you forgive are,forgiven,and what sins you retain,are retain,now the priest do the same today. It is said,that that Jesus, passed on the power to forgive us, to the priest,like he did to the
Aposolates,but their are times that I ask Mary to ask,her son to help me overcome my pioblems, but if they are serious ones then I go to confession., And confession does not
violate showing Love to Chirst.

:signofcross:

Hi Chuck,

Were you baptized in the Baptist church this past Sunday?

Hi I was ment to be baptised but I said to the pastor I couldn’t go through with it .
I am also going to go to my fist mass either this Sunday or next Sunday I hang decided yet but if I do leave my church I go to now it will be really hard becuase I know all the people and it be like starting over again ! Anyway that my plan for now :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.