Confession with small children

I am blessed that I live near a church that has daily confessions. The hours for confessions are during my husband's work hours though and I have small children. How has everyone handled that situation? I was away from the church from a number of years but have returned home and confession for me is somewhat of a priority as its the Sacraments that called me back. I really want to go weekly, but its been a struggle getting there. I think my 5 and 8 yo would be ok waiting in church while I went... although we were away from the Catholic church we were IN church - its my 4 yo that's a wild card. I just don't think I can trust her on her own with the other two. We homeschool so they are pretty much always with me... child care is an issue until my mother retires next year.

Do you have anyone you could carpool or go with to confession? Is there anyone you have met at your parish that you could go with or perhaps a neighbor or someone else who could watch the kids? Otherwise the best advice would be to schedule a confession time every week with the priest, I have never been to a parish that does not let you schedule confession to fit your schedule. I am thinking your best bet would be to schedule a time with every week with the priest. The only disadvantage for some would be that you are not confessing anonymously though I am not sure whether you confess face to face or anonymously.

[quote="Zooman77, post:2, topic:329561"]
Do you have anyone you could carpool or go with to confession? Is there anyone you have met at your parish that you could go with or perhaps a neighbor or someone else who could watch the kids? Otherwise the best advice would be to schedule a confession time every week with the priest, I have never been to a parish that does not let you schedule confession to fit your schedule. I am thinking your best bet would be to schedule a time with every week with the priest. The only disadvantage for some would be that you are not confessing anonymously though I am not sure whether you confess face to face or anonymously.

[/quote]

I like the idea of meeting another parent. I have not yet connected with anyone in my local parish, but there are moms in my homeschool group that maybe I could ask - it would mean having to travel as the group is widespread, but it would be worth the time and I could always alternate. That's a good solution for the long term... short term I might be stuck making the appointments.

Being a single parent, being able to go to Confession was difficult for me too while my child was really little. (she’s 9 now and can wait for me). So, I called the rectory and made an appointment. Father was able to meet me at a more convenient time and that helped a ton! I do hope you can find other moms or someone from the parish to help you, but if not, I pray your priest will be equally accommodating

Yep- try asking another lady! See if anyone goes to confession at XYZ time, you’d like to trade off watching kids :slight_smile:

If you can’t find another parent or trustworthy friend, just try contacting your priest. Sometimes they are willing to do the confession in the rectory or office, and the child can watch TV or have a snack in one room while you pop into another nearby room for the confession. My son has special needs, so when he was little, I couldn’t leave him with just anybody or with the next in line person on a busy confessional day. But he’d happily watch a cartoon on TV in the living room of the rectory while Father and I sat at the kitchen table in earshot but could speak privately.

Thanks for the ideas. I had this question too!

There might be an employee that can keep an eye on the children, as well.

I know I have done it a couple of times.

Mom brings something quiet for the kids to do, like coloring or reading. The kids did that, and I was nearby (in sight) if they needed anything. :shrug:

Explain your situation to your pastor. He can help. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.