confession

How often do you go to confession?

Isn’t there already a poll with this question?

There is no Catholic church in my itty bitty town nor is there one near enough to me to go on a regular basis. I tend to try to make it to confession when I am in an area where there is the opportunity to do so. In between, I confess directly to God - He listens!

Karen Anne

I try to go once a month to a small Church two towns over because they are the only Church that has “traditional confessions”. Our Parish is “one on one” sitting down like you are chatting with a pal and honestly I don’t like that. Maybe I’m just to old or stuck in my ways. Does any one else feel this way about the “new confession”?

[quote=Karen Anne]There is no Catholic church in my itty bitty town nor is there one near enough to me to go on a regular basis. I tend to try to make it to confession when I am in an area where there is the opportunity to do so. In between, I confess directly to God - He listens!

Karen Anne
[/quote]

WOW Karen. I can’t believe that. For many of us in a big city, I think we take for granted that we have easy access to the Sacraments because there are so many churches around. God Bless you…I can’t imagine having that challenge to go to Confession or Mass. It’s hard enough dealing with my own laziness!

In Christ,
Michelle

[quote=msaenz]WOW Karen. I can’t believe that. For many of us in a big city, I think we take for granted that we have easy access to the Sacraments because there are so many churches around. God Bless you…I can’t imagine having that challenge to go to Confession or Mass. It’s hard enough dealing with my own laziness!

In Christ,
Michelle
[/quote]

I know what you mean, Michelle - I can hardly believe it myself. That’s Alaska for you! My family and I are planning on moving to the “lower 48” as soon as we can sell our place - I cannot wait to get back to civilization!

Karen Anne

Karen, what’s “lower 48”…an area near Anchorage?

lower 48 = continental contiguous states
(united states minus Alaska and Hawaii)

thanks jim…you learn something new every day!:slight_smile:

[quote=msaenz]thanks jim…you learn something new every day!:slight_smile:
[/quote]

Yes - Jim is right. Sometimes we like to call it (the lower 48) the “Real World”. Things certainly are different up here!

Karen Anne
ps - we are moving to Salt Lake City

[quote=msaenz]How often do you go to confession?
[/quote]

Why is it that some people go to confession, and weeks later or months later are REMINDED of their sins over and over??? WITHIN their own mind and soul??? Where does this come from???

Not as often as I should. :o Thanks for the reminder:) and God Bless.

On average bi-weekly but I tend to feel better when I go weekly.

…i should go more… probably average about every 60 to 90 days… yep, should go more…

I attend Holy Mass every day therefore I receive the Sacred Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord as often as I am in the state of grace.

I am also a math teacher and so I guess ratios are embedded in my head!! If you want my cold and calculating reason here it is:

I reason that if a person who attends Holy Mass once a week (on SInday) is encouraged to go to Confession once a month that is one Confession per 4 Masses.

A daily Mass goer goes to Holy Mass 7 times a week and actually has a lesser ratio of Mass to confession. It is one Confession to 7 Masses.

How cold is that! :o

The biggest reason I go weekly is because my beloved late Holy Father John Paul II the Great went once a week. This really spurred me on to go weekly. I wanna learn so much from him and I think the best gift we could give him now that he has passed on it to take something from his life and give it legs!

[quote=misericordie]Why is it that some people go to confession, and weeks later or months later are REMINDED of their sins over and over??? WITHIN their own mind and soul??? Where does this come from???
[/quote]

Maybe so that they do not commit the same sins over and over. Yes, we are forgiven completely; however, if we had no rememberance at all we would be more likely to keep making the same mistakes. Also, until we learn to forgive ourselves the sins will never leave our memories.

Karen Anne

I don’t go often. Haven’t gone to confession in a long time… the last time I went to confession was 10 years ago.

[quote=Tazgurl21]I don’t go often. Haven’t gone to confession in a long time… the last time I went to confession was 10 years ago.
[/quote]

Tazgurl21…wow. I remember my dad when to Confession 4 years ago after waiting over 20+ years from his last confession. HE loved it…he felt Christ’s Love and Mercy and then he received Holy Communion. It was great. We took pictures of him and everything as if it were his first Holy Communion. It was a memorable moment for him and for us his family who saw his joy!

Wow thats cool. I need to start going to confession but haven’t had time lately.

I have never been to a confession. Plus I am not sure if it is appropreate for an agnostic (I do intend to return to my roots) who is baptised Catholic to attend a confessional without going through some sourt of religious education class (Such as RCIA)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.