Confession

In Catholic Theology can a person be forgiven for a mortal sin if he does not go to confession, but confesses directly to God?

[quote="Roger12345, post:1, topic:336448"]
In Catholic Theology can a person be forgiven for a mortal sin if he does not go to confession, but confesses directly to God?

[/quote]

Ordinarily sacramental confessions is necessary to absolve sins post baptism. If a person is in danger of death and has no recourse to sacramental confession, but is truly sorry for their sins not because of potential punishment but because he/she is sorry for having offended God (perfect contrition), then perhaps God will see into their hearts and forgive them. However, lets be very clear. if you know you have mortal sin and have the opportunity for sacramental confession but choose not to, you remain in your sin.

[quote="paul_c, post:2, topic:336448"]
If a person is in danger of death and has no recourse to sacramental confession, but is truly sorry for their sins not because of potential punishment but because he/she is sorry for having offended God (perfect contrition), then perhaps God will see into their hearts and forgive them.

[/quote]

This is true, with the condition that the person must firmly resolve to attend Sacramental Confession at the earliest opportunity (it does not matter whether death is clearly imminent and obviously no such opportunity will present itself - that must be the intent. Thus, we have no intent of trying to circumvent Sacramental Confession, so our intent remains valid).

As you pointed out, perfect contrition is required. This is not a reliable indicator - not even we ourselves can ever know for certain if our contrition is motivated purely by love of God (perfect) or motivated even to a small degree by fear of punishment (imperfect). The nifty thing about Sacramental Confession is that our level of contrition is irrelevant - it is a 100% guarantee. Someone is a fool if he hopes for the grace of anticipating his death so that he can try to obtain salvation in this manner; there are no guarantees.

Dear Roger
Keep talking to God about this. He will lead you to the person who will show you the way for forgiveness and healing. I will pray with you too

As a non-denominational Christian, I believe that God will forgive everything.

The only reason not to get to heaven is because the person ultimately refused.

Lovely greetings from Germany.
Liebe Grüsse aus Deutschland.

Lothars Sohn - Lothar's son
lotharlorraine.wordpress.com

[quote="Lotharson, post:5, topic:336448"]

[/quote]

Catholics believe that too. And I am personally counting on it :)

With that said, Confession is a gift from God. And Is Biblical too John:20:22-23
God gave the Apostles the power to forgive sins or to not forgive sins. There must have been a reason for that. When I feel I have sinned, I do confess it directly to God and I say a act of contrition. But then I go to confession as soon as I can.

[quote="Michaela_46, post:4, topic:336448"]
Dear Roger
Keep talking to God about this. He will lead you to the person who will show you the way for forgiveness and healing. I will pray with you too

[/quote]

Thank you, Michael

[quote="DavidFilmer, post:3, topic:336448"]

The nifty thing about Sacramental Confession is that our level of contrition is irrelevant - it is a 100% guarantee.

[/quote]

Impossible, if you do not repent God will not forgive you. If you lie to your confessor and tell him you repent he will not know it, only God and you will be aware of your hypocrisy. He will declare that your sins are forgiven as it says in scripture “if you forgive anyone’s sins they are forgiven”, but because there is no contrition there will be no forgiveness. The fear of punishment, in and of itself, cannot be thought of as contrition.

[/quote]

Let' be a little more specific. Do you believe that God will forgive anything under any circumstances, or do you believe that to be forgiven

a) man has to be sorry for their sins (contrition)
b) that the man has to be repentent
c) man has to request to be forgiven
d) that the man must be willing make reparation for their sins (do penance)
e) the man has to confess their sins

[quote="Roger12345, post:8, topic:336448"]
Impossible, if you do not repent God will not forgive you. If you lie to your confessor and tell him you repent he will not know it, only God and you will be aware of your hypocrisy. He will declare that your sins are forgiven as it says in scripture “if you forgive anyone’s sins they are forgiven”, but because there is no contrition there will be no forgiveness. The fear of punishment, in and of itself, cannot be thought of as contrition.

[/quote]

I think he means that it does not matter if repentance is motivated by perfect contrition (primarily love of God) or imperfect contrition (primarily fear of going to Hell). At Confession both are sufficient to forgive sins and be absolved (obviously assuming you don't deliberately withhold any mortal sins).

Yes, by perfect contrition. But, they must have the intention to go to confession when possible.

[/quote]

I would like you to explain this further. I hope that you're not arguing for universal salvation. If that's the case, mankind never fell to sin, and Christ's sacrifice was completely unnecessary.

[/quote]

God does forgive everything, so as long you repent, promise to do penance, and have an intention to not do it again.

We are encouraged to go to confession and receive penance for our sins to be forgiven. Perfect contrition will forgive our mortal sins but we still must tell those sins to the priest the next time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.