Confession

Hi.
Recently, I don’t know why, it came to my mind a confession I made almost 5 years ago(I was about 15 at the time). I confessed my sins, received absolution, and right after the priest gave me the absolution I remembered a mortal sin I had forgotten to say. I told the priest and he just looked at me, smiled, and said “You are forgiven”. At the time I didn’t know exactly that if you forget to tell the sin after a careful exam you are forgiven and can tell it next time you go to confession, so I don’t know for sure if I told it in another confession(almost 5 years…), although I felt like asking the priest “Can you give me absolution again?”…obviously I didn’t. As I am planning on going to confession soon, I wonder if I must tell the priest this sin( and if so, I don’t remember exactly how many times I had commited this sin) or if I don’t it will be a sacrilegous confession.
Thanks in advance.

You just remembered a mortal sin you forgot many years ago -and just realized now you are to confess it --but you do not know the number…

In giving the number and kind (murder 3x) you may not know from the examine the actuasl number -especially it if was from years ago and you just remembered it now… So just tell the Priest what happened – and when you confess the forgotten mortal sin you may approximate according to what you know – it may be “around 3x” or it may even need to be “a few times” or “many times” if need be.

Ok - so you just remembered a mortal sin you forgot many years ago -and just realized now you are to confess it --but you do not know the number -what to do?

In giving the number and kind (murder 3x) you may not know from the examine the actual number -especially it if was from years ago and you just remembered it now… So just tell the Priest what happened – and when you confess the forgotten mortal sins you may approximate according to what you know – it may be “around 3x” or it may even need to be “a few times” or “many times” if need be. That is fine. (though if we do we are to give that number of course…I do not want readers to think one need not normally).

Cause you do not know – we are not expected to be Vulcans (it was 55.258 times Captain…)…and we do not always know the number exactly.

Exactly. I think some people get hung up on “kind and number.”

Sometimes you don’t know the number. And any number you give would be a guess.

I had to confess, before I had my marriage convalidated, that I had been living as husband and wife for over 10 years.

Does anyone really think I would have a guess as to how many times my husband and I had participated in sexual relations? Over a 10 year period?

OK, would i be right in guessing you suffer from OCD or scruples?
If so you need to choose a regular confessor and stick with him rather than coming here for advice.

If the priest back then said you were forgiven then you are forgiven.
If it was Jesus himself talking to you then would you tell him off for not observing the exact absolution procedure for your exiting confession!

Holy Michael the Archangel defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Power of God,
thrust down to hell satan and all the wicked spirits,
who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.