Confidence in Congress: Lowest Ever for Any U.S. Institution

Vote in the poll BEFORE you read this article, then see how you compare.

PRINCETON, NJ – Gallup’s annual update on confidence in institutions finds just 12% of Americans expressing confidence in Congress, the lowest of the 16 institutions tested this year, and the worst rating Gallup has measured for any institution in the 35-year history of this question.

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/080620Conf1-m0n9b8.gif
Gallup first asked about confidence in institutions in 1973, repeating the question biannually through 1983, and obtaining annual updates since then. This year’s update comes from a June 9-12 Gallup Poll.

In the latest update, Congress ranks just below HMOs, for whom 13% of Americans express “a great deal” or “quite a lot” of confidence. Big business, the criminal justice system, organized labor, newspapers, television news, and the presidency all receive relatively low confidence ratings.

gallup.com/poll/108142/Confidence-Congress-Lowest-Ever-Any-US-Institution.aspx

It’s been that way forever; almost everyone hates Congress; almost everyone loves their Congressman.

Hence…

Your poll wouldn’t let me vote for noneof the above. I picked the military just so I could vote, but I have no real confidence in any of them.Pretty much because congress, the ones with lowest rating, hinder or hamstring just about every other category in the list.

As for religious institutions, I might have included that one, except the Catholic Church is not an American institution. That’s the way the poll is presented. However, the article words it, “institutions in American society”, which has a different meaning.

It is always that other congressman that does the bad stuff.:shrug:

And a lot of people who love their Congressman have no idea how he/she votes or what bills they have signed on to or initiated.

I couldn’t really vote as there was no option for none of the above.

The very sad truth is that our Constitution is being taken down by elected officials who do not honor their solemn oath of office by preserving and protecting it. There has, and is being much legislation passed that is in direct violation to our civil liberties. Most are completely unaware of this, and all should make an effort to find out. It is our constitutional duty to do so.

The American voters are to blame because they, their parents and even their grandparents have not been watching what government is doing. They know no matter which way the vote goes, nothing ever changes regardless of the party in office. They know their standard of living is declining, that our economy is bad, that prices keep rising, but they don’t understand why. So their confidence in Congress wanes because, I suppose, many are of the false impression that Congress is supposed to fix these things.

I’m afraid voter apathy and ignorance will bring about a disaster this election year.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." ` Plato

Fact is, hardly anything the government does will do anything good for the economy. Whether it’s expanding the welfare state, or doing special favors for big oil, whenever the government gets involved in economics, things get worse.

The best thing remains the same as it always has; leave it alone, and intervene only to prevent anyone from interfering with free enterprise, or manipulating the market.

The only proper role of government in economics is a negative one, preventing people from damaging the market through fraud, collusion, monopoly, etc.

It’s not just the big business, though. It’s all the special interest groups looking to get a piece of the Government pie.

They deal with so many bills, and most election campaigns zero in more on personality/perception than the long list of bills. Every bill is so complicated it is hard to get a good idea given you can attack on one line of the bill which was totally unrelated to the real reason the bill passed or did not pass.

Look at it this way:

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not always. I wouldn’t give a nickle for any of mine.

Funny…and YES!

Congress is the single greatest threat to the United States.

Campaign finance reform NOW. Only individuals eligible to vote should be allowed to donate money to an election campaign. No Special Interest groups, no unions, no corporations, no foriegn governments…just those eligible to vote.

TERM LIMITS…four terms as congressman, two as Senator.

But I thought McCain/Feingold fixed all that!!! Silly me. :slight_smile:

The threat is that our Constitution is being dismantled. Whatever happened to the solemn oath of office to preserve, protect and defend it? Congress is no longer representing We the People, but rather is doing business more along the lines of policy-making with trans-nat’l corps. Our sovereign nation is being sold out to the interests of the global plutocracy.

And I believe this about the United States political parties:

The Republicans have no hearts… The Democrats have no spines.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.