Confirmation and the Gifts

How is it that we receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit in Confirmation?

I cannot recall the distinction of getting the Gifts at Baptism and receiving or getting them in Confirmation.

Help!

Thanks!

From the “for dummies” site, but it is well said:

Confirmation, a sacrament of initiation, establishes young adults as full-fledged members of the faith. This sacrament is called Confirmation because the faith given in Baptism is now confirmed and made strong. During your Baptism, your parents and godparents make promises to renounce Satan and believe in God and the Church on your behalf. At Confirmation, you renew those same promises, this time speaking for yourself.

This page should explain what you need to know.

The linked page is a great resource.

I think that is for what I am looking.

thanks!

I will take any other ideas, too.

Only one small distinction I would add: Confirmation (Chrismation) does not give us sanctifying grace, but rather increases it. The two sacraments that give sanctifying grace are Baptism and Penance.

Confirmation is your personal participation in Pentacost.

Before Pentacost, the disciples locked themselvs in the upper room out of fear. After Pentacost they preached boldly without fear, even without fear of death.

Confirmation is your personal Pentacost.

-Tim-

Baptismal grace is increased and deepened;
An indelible mark is imprinted on the soul (like in baptism).
The confirmed person is united more closely to Christ.
The confirmed person is rooted more deeply as a child of the Father;
The gifts of the Holy Spirit (wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord) increase;
The confirmed person’s bond with the Church is perfected
Special graces are given to the confirmed person to enable him to spread and defend the faith by word and deed as a true witness to Christ;
The confirmed person is enabled to confess Christ boldly and never be ashamed of the Cross.
In short, the Christian, is made more complete. We are given much more.

I know that this is really, really late (if you are still with Catholic Forum).

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you!

:angel1: :angel1: :angel1:
:angel1: YOU ARE WELCOME! :angel1:
:angel1: :angel1: :angel1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.