Confirmation during coronavirus

Just seen notice in our parish that says because of the concern of the coronavirus at confirmations the anointing of oil of chrism will be administered without direct touch, in a safe and appropriate manner such as with the use of a cotton bud. Just curious is this valid? I thought that the bishop had to lay hands on the person? This just my understanding i am very grateful for any info provided

Catechism of the Catholic Church

1300 The essential rite of the sacrament follows. In the Latin rite, "the sacrament of Confirmation is conferred through the anointing with chrism on the forehead, which is done by the laying on of the hand, and through the words: ‘Accipe signaculum doni Spiritus Sancti’ [Be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit.]."114 In the Eastern Churches of Byzantine rite, after a prayer of epiclesis, the more significant parts of the body are anointed with myron: forehead, eyes, nose, ears, lips, chest, back, hands, and feet. Each anointing is accompanied by the formula Σφραγις δώρεας Πνεύματος Άγιού (Signaculum doni Spiritus Sancti): “the seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit.” 115

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Vico. But can the bishops give permission to change this. would it be valid if they did the anointing with a cotton bud there is confirmation going ahead tomorrow and this is how it is going to happen in this parish

The laying on of hands and the anointing with Chrism are separate actions. And the Bishop may opt to raise his hands over all the confirmandi as a group, instead of individually laying hands on each one. The use of a cotton bud for the anointing is legitimate. Nothing you’ve described affects validity.

-Fr ACEGC

11 Likes

That’s great thanks for clarifying

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.