Confirmation for older teens

My daughters were baptized and had 1st communion in the Catholic Church.
For a few years we were going to a Protestant church, and they got confirmed in that church. Do they need to be confirmed in the Catholic church too?

I think so. But it may depend on what Protestant church confirmed them. I know someone will probably ask what church you belonged to!

United Methodist

Yes, as someone who knows, as I am currently 22 and going through my RCIA confirmation classes, they will need to receive the Rite of Confirmation through the Catholic church. If they are still in high school, it should be easier as many parishes offer after-school classes. RCIA classes begin in the Autumn and go through to Easter Vigil, so they would have to wait for that.

Speaking with a Priest or Minister in your parish is always the best option, though.

Hope that helps!

The Sacrament of Confirmation would have to be given by a Catholic bishop or in some cases where the Bishop gives his authority to the local pastor. The protestant minister has no authority to give this Sacrament. It would not be recognized by the Catholic Church. One is being confirmed into the Catholic Faith and all it teaches and is given the Holy Spirit and is sent out.

If they wish REAL confirmation, yes.

No Protestant Church has valid orders.

[quote="Dave_in_Dallas, post:1, topic:182450"]
My daughters were baptized and had 1st communion in the Catholic Church.
For a few years we were going to a Protestant church, and they got confirmed in that church. Do they need to be confirmed in the Catholic church too?

[/quote]

Welcome home!

Yes. They need to be confirmed for the first time (the only time). Even though the word "confirmation" might be used, that ceremony, when performed by a Protestant minister (of any denomination) is not a sacrament.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.