Confirmation for Orthodox convert?

This question came up on another forum. I know that when a Catholic converts to Orthodoxy, he is usually Chrismated. Does it go the other way? When an Orthodox Christian converts to Catholicism, is he confirmed?

SAHmommy

[quote=SAHmommy]This question came up on another forum. I know that when a Catholic converts to Orthodoxy, he is usually Chrismated. Does it go the other way? When an Orthodox Christian converts to Catholicism, is he confirmed?

SAHmommy
[/quote]

No, I understand that all that is possibly necessary is a profession of Faith, including acknowledgement of the Pope as successor of Peter and visible head of the Church.

We as Catholics believe that our “sister” Apostolic Churches posess valid Sacraments.
There would be no need to re-chrismate an Orthodox Christian.

Brad

No, because the difference in practise arises from differences in theology.

Catholics speak of the sacraments being valid and licit. The sacraments impart an inedible mark that cannot be effaced. Thus a validly ordained priest/bishop can perform the sacraments that only require his holy orders to be valid (Eucharist, Holy orders, Anointing of the Sick).

The Orthodox have no such distinction. The sacraments are ‘valid’ (they dont actually see it in this way, but still) only if they are done within Orthodoxy. There is also the concept of economy which is beyond my ability to explain properly. :stuck_out_tongue: My best try is that it is something like when an individual joins the Church those sacraments he has received become ‘valid’.

This is too brief an answer to be any good. So I would suggest you look up this wonderful reference thread, forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=97440 and visit the EC forum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.