Confirmation in EF or OF?

Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for contributing.

I’m a catechumen at a parish that offers Mass in both forms of the Roman Rite (TLM and Novus Ordo). God willing, I will be receiving Confirmation this Easter, or soon thereafter. I’m absolutely thrilled about this, of course, and my initial desire is to ask to be confirmed using the older rite. I don’t want to get into the usual arguments that pit one form against the other, but I do lean strongly in the direction of the Extraordinary Form. My only concern arises from my belief that I may well be in the beginning stages of discerning a vocation to the priesthood. If this turns out to be the case, there’s a real possibility that by choosing to recieve the sacrament in this way I may be singling myself out as a “Traditionalist,” which from what I hear is about fastest way to get yourself kicked out of the seminary in this diocese. **So what I’m really asking is which is more important, recieving the sacrament in the manner I feel most inclined toward, or excercising prudence with regards to my possible vocation? **

I’d like to hear from as many different perspectives as possible, so please don’t hesitate to comment even if you hold opinions about the form of the liturgy that places you way out on the fringes in either direction.

Receive the sacrament in whatever form you like. Seminaries don’t kick out traditionalists, unless they are heretics. However, if you constantly bash the OF in the seminary, then you might get kicked out.

The parish will only be offering one Mass for the Triduum - probably the OF. That’s the Mass at which you would ordinarily be Confirmed.

It does not say on your baptismal certificate which rite was used for the sacraments. Unless you mention it, no one will no.

So, that means that Confirmation will only be offered in the OF. However, as a candidate, you should not be confirmed along with the catechumens at the Easter Vigil. You should be confirmed some other time, preferably at a Sunday Mass.

If you really want it done in the EF, try to find an FSSP parish nearby.

I think the cart is before the horse.

Whether it is the older rite or the newer rite, whether one becomes a priest or not, the most important thing is to receive the sacrament.

If it is God’s will that you become a priest then it will happen if you cooperate with grace. The first step is to get the sacrament.

-Tim-

In the EF Confirmation was not done in the context of a Mass. I know because that is how I received Confirmation in the early 60’s. Our bishop celebrated EF Confirmations and there was no Mass. So with regard to the OPs concern, he would need to make a profession of faith, at the ceremony where he receives Confirmation and then attend a Mass where he will receive the Eucharist. That is how I see it. Perhaps the profession of faith would be done when he goes to confession, then he would receive Communion at the next Mass and later Confirmation. When I was younger, adults receiving Confirmation were just put at the end of line at the kids Confirmation ceremony, which at that time in our area was every two years…

The RCIA is specific that when making a profession of faith one receives Confirmation and Eucharist at the same Mass, but there is no RCIA in the EF. I am not sure if a priest would be able to deviate from the rubrics of the EF with regard to Confirmation, or if the bishop would give a priest the faculty to confirm in the EF.

Have you checked with your parish to see if you have a choice in this matter? As Joann said, RCIA goes with the ordinary form and if your parish receives candidates at the Easter Vigil as many do, that would also likely be in the ordinary form.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.