Confirmation mass fulfill Sunday obligation?

Hi everybody,

My cousin is getting confirmed this Sunday, and as such his parish is having a confirmation mass. I think I know the answer, but just to be sure, does a confirmation mass held on a Sunday fulfill our Sunday obligation to attend mass?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Yes, if it’s a mass on sunday, then I’m pretty sure it is. I went to one once where the priest specifically told us it fulfilled our obligation LOL so i’m guessing that applies to all that are held on sunday.

Yes. Absolutely. No question or hesitation.

Attendance at ANY Mass on Sunday always fulfills the obligation.

yes any Mass on Sunday, or on Saturday evening after the hour stipulated by the bishop, fulfills the Sunday obligation. The candidates and sponsors should have been told that during their preparation meetings.

Also any mass after 4:00 pm on Saturday also fulfills the sunday obligation, even if it is celebrated as a daily mass for Saturday (IE, using the prayers for, lets say, Saturday in the 6th week of Easter).

That’s true (although unlikely that it would be scheduled that way), however the OP specifically asked about a Mass on Sunday, so I was trying to avoid the whole subject of 4 PM or later on Saturdays because that topic often takes on a life of its own.

Thank you so much to everyone that replied :thumbsup:

God bless you all

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.