Confirmation Name - Blessed Teresa of Calcutta?

My mom and I are going through RCIA together, and we are starting to think about our saints’ names for confirmation. I am leaning towards Thérèse of Lisieux for myself, and my mom really likes Mother Teresa for herself. Can my mom take Teresa as her confirmation name after Mother Teresa, even though she hasn’t been canonized yet, or should she only look at canonized saints?

I am not 100% sure on this, but I was under the impression that you could choose those that had been beatified, as Mother Teresa has. I’m not totally sure, however.

In any case, St. Thérèse of Lisieux is my patron also. :slight_smile:

I don’t think there is any rule, because, as far as I was taught, this is really only a deeply ingrained tradition, a pious custom, and not a Church teaching or rule. You can be confirmed under your baptismal name. (I am not downplaying the tradition, just pointing out that there is no rule about it).

If Mother Teresa is not a saint we are all in dreadful trouble!

My son’s confirmation name is David, from the Old Testament. (He was raised a good little evangelical AWANA boy, and was baptized Catholic at age 12) :smiley:
After a few yearsI think he wanted to change it to Blessed Pier Giorgio Frasatti, but nothing was ever done about that.

Pax Christi!

It’s perfectly proper to choose a blessed’s name for one’s confirmation name. Excellent choice.

God bless.

Not that I don’t believe you, but is there anything you can cite for this? I’m picking mine right now, but I haven’t been looking at anyone but canonized Saints, and if Blesseds are allowed, that would be great.

There’s nothing anyone can cite in the way of official Church documents on Confirmation names at all.

As CB Catholic said, picking a Confirmation name is a pious custom. It is not regulated by any liturgical or canon law that I am aware of.

I would note that numerous parishes (including my own) are named after Blesseds.

If the name of a Blessed is good enough for a church it ought to be good enough for a non-required pious tradition.

Absolutely! My daughter took her name for Confirmation much to my delight. I am a catechist and Blessed Teresa has always been one of my favorites to share with the children. Great choice of names!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.