Confirmation oil

So I was confirmed today and they told us that anything we use to wipe the oil out of our eyes etc. should be burned cos the blessed oil musn't going down the sewer. Everyone got a whole lot (the monsignor who performed the Sacrament in place of the bishop had it dripping all down his hands. I just wanted to make sure its okay to wash off my hair and face in the regular shower. It seems like it would be, but we were talking and I was a little unsure.

xxStella

Wipe off what you can with a paper towel or other towel. You can soak cloth towels in soap and water and then pour the water out on the ground, then wash the towels as normal. Or, if you use paper towels, you can burn them.

Yes, it is fine to take a shower.

You may want to save a piece of cloth with some of the confirmation oil on it to remember this day and keep as a sacramental in remembrance of your confirmation. Use this as a devotional item or touch a rosary to the oil.

The oil of chrism will soak In your skin and remember the oil of chrism had been consecrated by a the bishop alongside with priests of the dioceses on Maundy Thursday or any other time your dioceses have the chrism mass

I like that. Great idea. When I was confirmed they didn’t tell me anyway anything.

A few years ago I told a newly-confirmed woman she couldn't wash her forehead for three days. When I saw her panicked expression I had to tell her I was just kidding, lol, and that there's no problem with her washing her face normally.

The oil on the forehead of the Confirmandi is a visible sign of the matter and form of the sacrament, but remember that the bishop or priest washes his hands after the rite, so that he can proceed with the Eucharistic celebration. Washing your forehead will not remove any of the powerful graces you have received! Nor will washing be any sign of disrespect.

[quote="quiet52, post:6, topic:323796"]
A few years ago I told a newly-confirmed woman she couldn't wash her forehead for three days. When I saw her panicked expression I had to tell her I was just kidding, lol, and that there's no problem with her washing her face normally.

The oil on the forehead of the Confirmandi is a visible sign of the matter and form of the sacrament, but remember that the bishop or priest washes his hands after the rite, so that he can proceed with the Eucharistic celebration. Washing your forehead will not remove any of the powerful graces you have received! Nor will washing be any sign of disrespect.

[/quote]

You mention powerful graces received by the confirming of the holy spirit. Do any of these graces leave when a mortal sin is commited? Does the holy spirit we are sealed with ever leave as does the grace of charity when mortal sin is committed?

Sanctifying grace makes holy those who possess it, giving them a participation in the divine life which those who are in the state of grace share. Mortal sin destroys that state.

A confirmed (chrismated) Christian becomes permanently marked with an indelible character or seal of a soldier of Christ, as a witness of Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.