Confirmation Question!

Hello everyone! I’m a 22 year old taking RCIA with the full intent of converting from Calivinst Baptist to Catholic.

I’ve already picked my Confirmation name–Teresa after Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta. I have a question though–I’ve heard that, if you wish, you can take TWO confirmation names.

Would it be alright if I took one for myself (Teresa) and one on behalf of someone else? The person I’m thinking about is a US infantryman who is a good friend and means a great, great deal to me. He’s a lapsed Catholic, but still considers himself to be a Christian. I was wondering if it would be alright to take St. Barbara in honor of him, or do Confirmation names soley have to be for myself only?

Confirmation names are a custom in some places but are not required as part of the sacrament. My parish doesn’t encourage confirmation names but allows them if the candidate wants one. I haven’t heard of someone taking multiple names. On the other hand, you can certainly pray for your friend and ask for St. Barbara’s intercession on his behalf. You don’t have to wait until you’re confirmed to offer your prayers for him.

I don’t see anything particularly wrong with having two confirmation names. I have heard of it. In fact, confirmation names are not required, there are no official guidelines as to them, and so I think you would be fine in having two.

Since the practice of taking on a Confirmation name is more personal piety than anything, there’s really no hard-and-fast regulations as far as I know.

I don’t think it would be that peculiar to do. Lots of religious take on multiple saints names. Popes John Paul I & II took on two names, too.

As far as taking on a name for someone else, I’m not sure. If you want to take on the name on their behalf, I don’t really see how that could work. People need to choose for themselves to cooperate with grace. However, if you want to take on that name in honor of them or because you hope that saint will help you to help them, then that seems like it could be fine.

Of course, you can always ask your priest. He’d probably give you a better answer than any of us.

I agree with SMD, though, that you can always ask for St. Barbara’s intercession for your friend whenever you desire to do so. I only have one “Confirmation name” so to speak, but I have lots of saints that are part of my heavenly circle of friends.

Having lots of friends in heaven is wonderful!

“Officially” I have the saint I was named for, the saint I took at confirmation, the saint I took when I made my Oblation as a Benedictine, the patron saint for my job, the patron saint of my parish, and others. Unofficially I have many saintly friends I look to for inspiration, guidance, and prayers.

Have you ever read James Martin’s My Life with the Saints? He talks about a lot of his heavenly friends as well.

Yeah…taking it on his behalf was bad wording on my part. It’s more because I want to do it in honor of him and hope that she will help me help him.

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.