Confirmation sponsor responsibilities

What are the responsibilities of someone asked to be the sponsor of a person to be confirmed into the Roman Catholic Church?
Who is eligible to be a sponsor?

From Canon Law:

CHAPTER IV.

SPONSORS

Can. 892 Insofar as possible, there is to be a sponsor for the person to be confirmed; the sponsor is to take care that the confirmed person behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the obligationsinherent in this sacrament.

Can. 893 §1. To perform the function of sponsor, a person must fulfill the conditions mentioned in can. 874.

§2. It is desirable to choose as sponsor the one who undertook the same function in baptism.

You can click the hyperlinks to read about the duties of the Baptismal Sponsor.

To be a sponsor one must be a fully initiated Catholic who is able to receive the Eucharist. In other words, a person must be baptized, had first communion and been confirmed. If the person is married, they must be married in the Church. If not married they must be living life as a single Catholic should. A sponsor should also a better than nominal knowledge of the faith.

A sponsor is someone who walks with a candidate during their journey toward confirmation. They give the candidate insight into the faith, pray with them and for them.

It’s a blessing to be asked to sponsor someone for confirmation?

I have been asked three times to be a sponsor for adults who are going to be received into the Catholic Church via baptism and/or confirmation. It has been a great joy every time. Answering their questions when I can and introducing them to people in the parish. It is also a great joy to my own sponsor, to be what she calls it, “a granny sponsor”. Every single one of them has been added on her prayer list.

God bless you!

A blessing and a great honor.

Yet it is a blessing and quite an honor.

My best advice, pray for your sponsoree every day. Remember them with a Mass once a year.

Thanks for the advice.

As sponsor, what do I speak to my confirmation candidate about as he persues his confirmation?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.