Confirmation Sponsor

I don’t know any practicing catholic people well, but I took a class at school with a girl who openly displayed her catholic faith, even when most of the class didn’t agree with her. Her faith was beautiful to me and I know she is a confirmed catholic. I never became her friend, but we did talk in class and I found out that she works at the church I go to. I want to ask her to be my sponsor for confirmation, but I’m not sure if it’s acceptable to ask people you aren’t close to to be your sponsor. Can anyone help me out?

i see no problem talking to her about possibly being your sponsor.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Many times in RCIA, the confirmation sponsor is someone the individual just met through the programs.

I don’t know any practicing catholic people well, but I took a class at school with a girl who openly displayed her catholic faith, even when most of the class didn’t agree with her. Her faith was beautiful to me and I know she is a confirmed catholic. I never became her friend, but we did talk in class and I found out that she works at the church I go to. I want to ask her to be my sponsor for confirmation, but I’m not sure if it’s acceptable to ask people you aren’t close to to be your sponsor. Can anyone help me out?

Any confirmed Catholic can be a sponsor. Usually it is people you meet through RCIA or through growing up in the Church; but I am sure if you ask her beforehand; no one will object to you using her as your Sponsor.

:thumbsup:

I’d be flattered if someone thought that my faith was so obviously strong that they wanted me for a sponsor although they didn’t really know me that well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.