Confirmation this weekend through RCIA what to wear

I am getting confirmed this weekend and they didn’t give us a dress code since they said it’s between me and god and to be comfortable.

I was thinking of wearing grey pants, with a lacy pink shirt and a black cartigan and black boots since it’s still cool here and we can walk to the church.

Do you think that’s appropriate?

my general church rule is “its fine as long as you don’t look like a slob.” if you dress up or down too far you might feel uncomfortable. that being said, easter and christmas are usually days that people get the dressiest.

I too will be confirmed at the Easter Vigil. We had our last RCIA class last night and were told that men should wear suits and women should wear dresses or suits. They made it very clear that this is a formal event and we should dress for it.

However, I think your outfit sounds nice and tasteful and your Parish didn’t tell you to be formal so I would go with it.

we were told dress modestly. nothing low cut, shoulders covered, dress, skirt, or dressy slacks. preferable no jeans, but since its a long service i also suggest something comfortable.

Sounds great…but I will say this:
It’s a LONG LONG LONG Mass. You might want to bring a pair of flats in case those boots give you problems after a while. I figure you might be wearing boots to protect your feet form the elements since you are walking…But the only think I tell our people is dress up! And wear COMFORTABLE shoes!
God bless you!
pianist

I always dress cooler for the Easter vigil… The first time I went I almost passed out because of the heat from the number of bodies along with the length Mass. It is one of the few times I drink water during mass.

Typically I wear a skirt and a light fabric shirt. When my husband was confirmed, he said he was roasting in just a dress shirt and slacks.

Your chosen outfit sounds just right! Just be sure you wear comfortable shoes :thumbsup:

Most importantly, WELCOME HOME!!!

A bit off topic and I hope the OP doesn’t mind this question: How much of the 3 hours will we be standing up? Do you stand up for all the readings (I think there are like 9, right?) or just for the Gospel like normal? I realize we will be standing up when we receive our Sacraments but what about the rest of the Mass?

I’m not the OP, but it depends on how many people are being Baptized…in our parish we Baptize by immersion and everyone has to go to the font in the Narthex. We stand on those hard tiles for ages while 9, 10, sometimes more are being Baptized…In addition to the various parts of the Mass. No, we don’t stand except during the Gospel no. But the people receiving Sacraments stand while everyone else gets confirmed too…
Maybe it’s because I’m usually running around getting people ready, lining them up, refilling the tables for the receptions…but my feet are killing me at the end. Maybe the 2 hour rehearsal earlier contributes as well. :smiley:
I certainly wouldn’t wear high heels.

Pretty much the identical experience here without the immediately preceding rehearsal but including the running around on tile floors to help with the arrangements and of course I never wear high heels. :smiley: I do always wear my newest dress shoes and end up wishing I hadn’t.

Also it probably slipped your mind to add standing during the singing of the Easter Proclamation (Exultet) for 8-10 minutes with everyone holding a lighted candle and possibly during the singing of the Litany of the Saints which could be another 5-8 minutes.

To all those attending the Easter Vigil for the first time: All this being said however, it is a marvelous event and I’m sure you will say something along the lines of what we hear from practically every participant year after year: “It was so moving and I can’t believe three hours went by so quickly.”

:thumbsup:
God bless all in RCIA.
And welcome home!

Your attire sound just fine to me.

Thank you everyone. Yesterday I got to take part in Holy Thursday at Mass. There are only 2 of us RCIA candidates and we got to bring up the oils. I never went to holy thursday mass before and it was kind of unsettling at the end, with the empty alter and the priest leaving in silence.

Did anyone explain why we do that?

Just wait for today, Good Friday, with the stripped altar, the extinguished sanctuary candle, and the door to the tabernacle flung wide open to expose the fact that Jesus is not there.

Disturbing indeed----- when I see that empty tabernacle every year I always get teary . . .

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.