Confirmation

I have a few students who are going through confirmation classes right now who will be confirmed in two weeks. After spending a lot of time here on CAF I have learned a lot about the faith. I thought it might be an interesting thing to learn what the kids were being taught. As kids, of course, they can’t remember half of what they are taught, but they do tell me that they love the classes. But one young lady told me that not going to mass was a mortal sin, and if she missed it she should go to reconciliation immediately. Is this so? Are confirmation classes within the cc the same everywhere, and if so is this actually taught? What are some of the other tenets that are taught?

But one young lady told me that not going to mass was a mortal sin, and if she missed it she should go to reconciliation immediately.

Correct. Missing Sunday/Holy Day of Obligation would be a mortal sin. There are conditions, however: you have to know it’s a sin, and you must choose to do it. If you miss because you do not have a ride, you are sick, there is no mass available, you must care for a very sick family member, etc, it doesn’t meet the conditions of a mortal sin.
So, if I wake up, decide I want to sleep in, and don’t go to mass, I would need to go to confession asap.

I believe CCD classes are up to the individual parish, and may follow different curriculums.

Can you please explain to me why that is, and who decided that would be the case?

I teach the confirmation class in my parish, so I can tell you what we teach.

The topic of what is and what is not a mortal sin is taught.

The effects of the sacraments are taught.

Some of the history of the Church is taught

Prayer and having a prayer life is taught.

Scripture study is taught.

Each parish in my diocese has its own curriculam. That is up to the bishop. My parish confirms 10th grade, so we are older than most. That allows us the freedom of discussing more serious topics.

The Church, using its God-given authority to bind and loose, and to teach in His name (“who hears you hears Me, who rejects you rejects Me”) can bind the faithful on pain of sin to certain disciplines such as attending Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.

The Church in the case of Mass attendance has decided, in its wisdom, that it is an essential part of the commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy, just as faithful Jews would (unless I’m mistaken) consider it a sin not to go to synagogue for their communal worship of God on the Sabbath. In fact there’s a passage in St Paul where he exhorts his readers not to neglect to meet together (meaning in communal worship).

It’s been a settled precept of the Church from its earliest times, similarly considered binding among Orthodox Christians (and not a few Protestants as well, who would consider it similarly a sin, usually a fairly serious one, not to attend church on Sundays).

CCC 2181:

"The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin."

she has been well and properly taught
what should be covered in a confirmation program for teens, in this diocese, are the Creed, the sacraments, Christian morality and prayer, with the scriptures that relate to each topic as it arises, or with the Sunday lectionary readings. These are the elements in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and religious education textbooks must be in accordance with the catechism to be approved.

Jesus Christ established the form for communal worship, the Mass, at the Last Supper, he enjoined it by command on his followers, remember this commandment was given shortly before he went to his death, which gives it the most weight.

welcome to the forums, and since you are asking specifically about Catholic practices, the place where you will find the fullest discussion is on the proper forum. About Mass and the other sacraments, including Confirmation, that would be the liturgy and sacraments forum. about specific teachings and doctrines for which you would like to see an explanation and defense, that would be Apologetics, for scriptural issues, that would be Scripture, and so forth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.