Confirmation

I would like to know what exactly confirmation is and what it does. I was confirmed at the age of 9 or 10, barely understanding what was going on and having a borderline agnostic view on God. :blush:

My main memories of confirmation were having to wear a stupid stick-on name tag with my confirmation name written on it (Albertus Magnus… though the Bishop said Magnus was just his title, not his name, and I was only officially confirmed as Albertus… So what’s my confirmation name? :confused:), and getting sick on the stench of rancid chrism oil. I thought that my sponsor was supposed to say what my name was instead of the Bishop reading a name tag?

Anyway, can I get an explanation of what confirmation really is? All I know is I wish I was not confirmed when I was so young, especially since I barely knew anything about saints at the time… I remember my parents making me read through books of saints but I only looked at the names for the attractiveness of them, trying to draw attention to myself. :blush:

Confirmation completes the Sacrament of Baptism, strengthening the one confirmed in grace and giving the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Do you have a Catechism? There is a nice section on Confirmation in the Catechism. You can read it online also.

Young brother, don’t worry, your Confirmation was the work of the Holy Spirit, not you. So if and when you believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit that you received in the Sacrament of Confirmation, you will be ready to make use of them - and obviously you’re ready!

Catechism (see whole page)

III. THE EFFECTS OF CONFIRMATION

1302 It is evident from its celebration that the effect of the sacrament of Confirmation is the special outpouring of the Holy Spirit as once granted to the apostles on the day of Pentecost.

1303 From this fact, Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:

• it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!”;117
  • it unites us more firmly to Christ;
  • it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
  • it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;118
  • it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross:119
Recall then that you have received the spiritual seal, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of right judgment and courage, the spirit of knowledge and reverence, the spirit of holy fear in God's presence. Guard what you have received. God the Father has marked you with his sign; Christ the Lord has confirmed you and has placed his pledge, the Spirit, in your hearts.120

Hope this helps.
catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0451.html

**“Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds.” (CCC 1316)

Search the Catechism here; (scborromeo.org/ccc.htm).**

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

thanks for the informations bro…

This is my favorite letter on Confirmation. It was written by the Bishop of Tyler, TX when he was changing the age for Confirmation. While parts of the letter are specific to his diocese, I think it does a wonderful job of explaining what Confirmation is as well as what it is not. Good luck.

dioceseoftyler.org/documents/Confirmation_document_2.pdf

Bro?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.