Confirmation

I was baptised in the UK as an adult. I was confirmed and received first communion all at the same mass. This is normal there.
But my certificate has nothing on it about confirmation.
Is the same process normal in the US and Canada?

Yes, that it the normal way for anyone over age 7 to enter the Church.

Yes, this is the normal process, or should be the normal process, all over the world. it’s called the “Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults” and it is one of the products of the Second Vatican Council.

I have no idea why your Baptism certificate would not also note your Confirmation and First Holy Communion.

If your Certificate does not specifically mention your Confirmation, does it state that you have received the “Sacraments of Initiation”? Or does it merely mention your Baptism? It’s possible the parish staff simply made a mistake and chose the wrong certificate.

Only they line marked baptism is filled out.
The office lady at the diocese said that was all there was. I guess the priest didnt fill out the whole record…
But she did say that the whole thing woud be a normal process and be assumed.

Are you talking about the souvenir baptismal certificate given at the time of baptism? Or are you talking about your actual sacramental record at the parish?

You need to contact the parish where you received these three sacraments and verify that both baptism and confirmation are entered into the sacramental register of that parish. If not, you need to get that corrected ASAP.

And, no the “whole thing” is NOT assumed. IF the record of your confirmation really is missing from the sacramental record you need to get that corrected by contacting the priest who confirmed you and alerting him and requesting this be fixed.

If you get the run around from the “lady” who answer the phone, contact the judicial vicar of the diocese and request your sacramental record issue be addressed immediately.

I’m talking about the certificate I ordered from the diocese. So I guess it is an official record of what they have in their records.
This was in 1980. I pretty sure the priest is dead. I bet he never wrote anything more because it is so common to do it all at once.
The “lady” was from the diocese. She said that was all that had been entered into the record, but that as an adult it would be assumed I had the whole nine yards.

I’ll try again and ask how to get this fixed.

I suggest you contact the parish (I am assuming the parish is still in existence and not closed). The parish maintains the actual sacramental register. Both baptism and confirmation should be noted.

No, this is not correct. It is a canon law requirements, and a serious duty of all priests, to maintain accurate sacramental records. Confirmation must be recorded in the sacramental record. It does not matter that they were done at the same time. They would both have been recorded.

The lady is not the judicial vicar and she is not correct. Assumptions cannot be made about whether or not a sacrament has been conferred.

If the priest is in fact dead, you should be able to give an affidavit of witnesses regarding date, place, and who conferred the sacrament. The notation should be able to be made from the affidavit. Otherwise, you will require a conditional confirmation.

Contact the judicial vicar’s office, and please note that receptionists and administrative assistants are not experts in these matters. Some are very knowledgeable and some are less so. They all mean well, I am sure, but these answers you’ve received are not accurate.

Please talk to a canonists at your diocese.

Definitely contact the diocese. I was baptized one weekend and confirmed and received my first Holy Communion the following weekend, which is proof that not every adult goes the whole nine yards all at once.

[quote="Corki, post:2, topic:322781"]
Yes, that it the normal way for anyone over age 7 to enter the Church.

[/quote]

if you are brought up in a catholic family but I would contact the diocese .

The reference was to Baptism as an adult (a person over the age of 7) in the Church - this is typically done with Confirmation and First Holy Communion together in the same ceremony, through an RCIA process, and it’s for people who are not Catholic by birth or family origin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.