Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary-15 decades

I am reading and watching videos about the Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary. I am curious as to why the Luminous Mysteries are not included in doing the Rosary. Why is that left out?

Hi TwinMommy,

The Rosary is a personal devotion. In October, 2002 for the Year of the Rosary, the Luminous Mysteries were added by Blessed John Paul II, and are optional. There are some who don’t believe there should have been additional mysteries added to the Rosary. It’s entirely up to you, whether you pray them or not.

Personally, I like the Luminous Mystery.

God bless you!

The Luminous Mysteries were added by John Paul II. Some people pray them; some don’t.

One of the main reasons that some don’t pray them is because those mysteries are not traditional. The rosary was called the Psalter of the Virgin or Mary’s Psalter, where a psalter was 150 Psalms, and the rosary was basically 150 Hail Mary’s (besides the other prayers, such as the Our Father and the Glory Be). These 150 where divided in five groups of 5 decades, in unity with the traditional 3 mysteries (Glorious, Joyful, and Sorrowful).

The Luminous Mysteries are optional. Personally, I like to pray them.

Yay. Another person who likes them. :slight_smile:

I have been praying them since I started praying the Rosary because every site I read had them, today is the first time I saw information on praying the Rosary that doesn’t have them. And when I say started praying, I mean about 3 weeks LOL

i have two cheat cards on praying the Rosary one has the luminous and the other one doesnt. i enjoy meditating on the luminous ones as well.

Make that still another who prays the Luminous Mysteries!:slight_smile: I agree with Pope John Paul II that they fill in the missing public ministry of Jesus. I say the whole rosary chronologically, so I say the Luminous Mysteries after the Joyous Mysteries.

The luminous mysteries aren’t required as part of the confraternity because the confraternity started before the Pope JPII announced the luminous mysteries. I personally like the luminous, but it’s not required for the confraternity.

Important links:

rosary-center.org/nroscon.htm
rosary-center.org/nconobl.htm#prom

Why are there two?
rosaryconfraternity.org/
rosary-center.org/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.